vBulletin invisible text??

MuFu

I can see fury browsing this forum. His brain is whirring.

*whirr, whirr, whirr...*

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Kind of a complicated solution, but achieves the effect you want.

Before posting, check the color of the last post. If it's the darker grey, make your spoiler [ color=#f1f1f1] (because your post will be of the lighter grey. see?)

If it's the lighter grey, make your spoiler [ color=#dfdfdf]

MuFu

fury said:
Kind of a complicated solution, but achieves the effect you want.

Before posting, check the color of the last post. If it's the darker grey, make your spoiler [ color=#f1f1f1] (because your post will be of the lighter grey. see?)

If it's the lighter grey, make your spoiler [ color=#dfdfdf]

Cheers. I had a feeling that you could do it by using the actual colour codes themselves.

Also... YOU LIKE TO HAVE THE SEX WITH A GOAT HAHAHAH!!!!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The text that goes in the color tag gets put straight into the browser as this:

<font color="color">bleh</font>

Due to the unusual scheme browser makers have come up with for determining color names, colors that are not recognized will be completely random.

Watch:

turquoise
[color=blue-green]blue-green[/color]
mauve

Turquoise is the only one that actually works.

If you want a color that stays the same between all browsers you gotta stick with simple ones (red, blue, brown, black, white, etc) or use the hex code, e.g. for red, #ff0000 (DON'T forget the #)

The codes are each two hexadecimal numbers and the set goes in order from red, green, and blue. If you don't know hexadecimal, here's a quick run-down:

00 is 0, aka minimum
40 is 25%
80 is 50%
C0 is 75%
FF is 100%, aka maximum

For a completely green font, use #00ff00, for a completely blue font, use #0000ff. For yellow, #ffff00. For orange, #ff8000. For magenta, #ff00ff. For purple, #ff0040 or #ff0080.

You can also pick a color from a paint program such as Photoshop or PSP and it will tell you the hex code for that color. (you might have to pick the color and then click the little box that shows you what color you picked to get the screen that shows you the hex code)

MuFu

Yup, cheers man - I've got it sussed on the site in question, ta.

:headbang:

ONLY JOKING, YOU FAT SLAG!!!!!

Q

[color=blue-green]this is a lovely color[/color]

what about my snot question?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
fury said:
Due to the unusual scheme browser makers have come up with for determining color names, colors that are not recognized will be completely random.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna go ahead and move this to the TH since it involves a direct question about the site and not necessarily vBulletin in general.

I might see if I can add a tag that will automatically make clear text, but it might get messed up in quotes.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Or I could just add a spoiler tag that will basically show up as a black strip until it gets highlighted.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
[spoiler]Testicles, they hurt when they get kicked[/spoiler]

turns into:

Testicles, they hurt when they get kicked

MuFu

Ah, very cool - it did cross my mind that it'd be easiest just to make a tag.

So how do you implement that? Is it something that can be transplanted from one vB-based forum to another in a "standalone" form?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much, yeah. It was added through the Custom vB Code section in the admin control panel.