"Verbal vs. Non-verbal Communication"

75renegade

In the age of information over-saturation, true and pure communication is a rare find in deed and its most effective form can be swept by the wayside, while much shallower, less primal forms rise to the surface and block the light of those wishing to receive it.

Our culture and and our peers have made such sport of sending messages that most of what we receive is discarded as "spam".

Thus the need for all of the message control and spam filtration in our day-to-day lives and relationships.

I submit for your consideration, that some of the most meaningful communication I have ever offered or received has been non-verbal.

It's a skill I continue to hone with great enthusiasm as I experience the powerful positive results of connection with my fellow sojourners.

To observe the body language of another and to learn to read the powerful messages it sends has helped me to improve and deepen the way in which I relate to others.

When I notice that someone appears pressed and disengaged from their surroundings, no matter how pressing my own matters of concern seem to me, before I approach or begin to speak, I like to contemplate a less intrusive approach to the one I would otherwise address with my question or topic of interest.

The result is far more satisfying as the would-be "addressed", goes on their merry or not so merry way, undisturbed by my personal agenda and I go on mine resolved to work out a different solution for myself which promotes further personal growth for me.

In spite of how my fancy for words may appear to the reader here, my preference is to let you tell me about yourself without the need for all such insufficient and misrepresentable verbiage.

How can words accurately represent the deep thoughts and desires of the human spirit?

Although I do believe there is a time for us to employ the clumbsiness of words, I believe that with maturity, we would do much better to consider the ways of other cultures and rely on far more primal means for sending and receiving messages to and from one another.

A tender touch...a gentle understanding look in the eyes coupled with an accurate assessment of and provision for the needs of the one with whom we are in relationship, is far more effective and goes much deeper towards positive relational growth, in moments when our friend or partner needs to be acknowledged for having a "tough day at work".

The same is true for moments when anger is appropriate.

To merely descend to the undermining depths of fits of rage or angry outbursts (which can wound the ones we love) is only delaying the potential growth and maturity that waits for those who choose to exercise restraint and self control.

I say, save physical aggression for the weight bench or the wood pile, in order to instead sow seeds of positive productivity that may later reap personal benefits for the angry offended one.

Withhold verbal abuse and exchange it for silence while focusing that energy on finding a more effective solution that will bring healing and promote an opportunity for growth, for you and for your friend or partner.

One author wrote, "In the presence of many words is folly" and "Be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger...".

Words of wisdom for those who choose to receive and exercise them.

Relationships with each other is the only real treasure I find worth living for in this world of meaningless chatter...

So, what is your preferred means of communicational exchange and why?

Dave

i need to be fairly proficient at non-verbal communication at work. i've found that proper body language can make things go a whole lot smoother than just by talking.

MrBishop

Non-verbal communication isn't communication, per se. It's interpretation, and like ,most interpretations... is often wrong.

That troubled worker that you didn't want to disturb is in actuality having a great day, but he's waiting for you to leave so that he can let go of some of the gas plaguing his stomach since him lunch at Taco Bell. That's a pained look on his face, but not what you were thinking.

The most effective of the non-verbal is best used like a lie-detector. Where did their eyes go when they were answering you. Are they sweating, are they flushed? Etc... Signals about how they are physically (ill, wounded, in pain) or emotionally (happy, sad, angry).

To communicate means to exchange information...and the best does it as precisely as possible..with the least amount of a need for interpretation.

Verbal is good because you can get additional information based on tone, volume or speed. You can 'hear' sarcasm, venom, anger, love etc...beyond the words.

Written, when done well, is best. Say exactly what you mean to say without that burrito creating places where others can 'read between the lines'.

BB

Non-verbal communication isn't communication, per se. It's interpretation, and like ,most interpretations... is often wrong.

maybe i'm misinterpreting this - but you are saying the written word is NOT communication, Bish?????????????????????

MrBishop

Actually...I meant waving your hands around or frowning at someone isn't really communicating. Expressing maybe...but not communicating.

**Unless you're good at ASL, that is.

BB

BSL ...
:D

aintcha got a CSL then? ;)

ok, let's do a scientific experiment -

*BB waves hand in air*
*BB waggles left eyebrow*
*BB leans forward slightly*

What did you make of it?

BB

Actually...I meant waving your hands around or frowning at someone isn't really communicating. Expressing maybe...but not communicating.

**Unless you're good at ASL, that is.

Imagines Bish running over and killing numerous policeman standing in the middle of the road, frowning and holding their hand out, palm up

istockphoto_912320_policeman.jpg

MrBishop

BSL ...
:D

aintcha got a CSL then? ;)

ok, let's do a scientific experiment -

*BB waves hand in air*
*BB waggles left eyebrow*
*BB leans forward slightly*

What did you make of it?

CSL - not really. i learned ASL mostly and I know ISL, but I speak with a horrible accent. :)

I'm not sure...but are you inviting me to the latest showing of Brokeback mountain ? ;)

BB

I'm not sure...but are you inviting me to the latest showing of Brokeback mountain ?

close - i was asking if you were a groucho marx fan! :D

..careful now ... you'll set Starya off again! :bgpimp:

MrBishop

*MrBishop checks BB's pulse

"This man is dead!"

[aside] either that, or my watch just stopped [/aside]

BB

*BB raises right eyebrow and twirls false moustache - famous last non-verbal words, i'm sure you will agree - very poignant*