Very cool.

HomeLAN

So, I got a combined $180 bucks form folks for my B-day in the form of Best Buy certificates. I just went and blew $90 on an upgrade to Windows XP. It'd installed, and apart from not being able to activate it via net, it works.

I have $90 left. I'm thinking to grab as much memory as I can, since I'm no longer limited to 512 MB (I came up from Win 98 SE). Any other suggestions?

Beuller? Beuller?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I think it was possible to have more than 512MB of RAM on win98 but you needed to set the max size of vcache manually.

catocom

HomeLAN said:
I have $90 left. I'm thinking to grab as much memory as I can, since I'm no longer limited to 512 MB (I came up from Win 98 SE). Any other suggestions?

Beuller? Beuller?
A DVD burner?

JJR512

HomeLAN said:
So, I got a combined $180 bucks form folks for my B-day in the form of Best Buy certificates. I just went and blew $90 on an upgrade to Windows XP. It'd installed, and apart from not being able to activate it via net, it works.

Beuller? Beuller?
Damn, I never realized you didn't have one of the newer Windows.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I'd go for the DVD burner. I know you play games, but it doesn't sound like you play much that would benefit greatly from more than 512. A DVD burner on the other hand would have you stuck to your computer burning like a california wildfire.

Inkara1

I dunno; I've had a DVD burner for close to nine months now and I haven't exactly observed an inferno here.

catocom

But inky, you have 2 or 3 comps, and only use 1 really.
I'd venture to says also that you don't work on other peoples comps too much
either.

If you have Norton ghost, and work on other people's comps, it is the best
thing since sliced bread. Especially when doing a cleanup job, and the people
think they just have to have certain programs like wild tangent, and aim, and search toolbars....
I keep backups of all my customers for usually about a year or more, or until
I know they got rid of that comp.

LAN, Ghost, and the burner, are my friends. :nerd:

ps: besides, I predict the bottom is going to fallout of ddr400 between now,
and the christmas. I'd wait for 512mb ddr400 to hit $40 for top brands.

Inkara1

Well, I built both my parents' systems and both of my own, but I don't build them for sale or anything.

chcr

Too cute for words
catocom said:
But inky, you have 2 or 3 comps, and only use 1 really.
I'd venture to says also that you don't work on other peoples comps too much
either.

If you have Norton ghost, and work on other people's comps, it is the best
thing since sliced bread. Especially when doing a cleanup job, and the people
think they just have to have certain programs like wild tangent, and aim, and search toolbars....
I keep backups of all my customers for usually about a year or more, or until
I know they got rid of that comp.

LAN, Ghost, and the burner, are my friends. :nerd:

ps: besides, I predict the bottom is going to fallout of ddr400 between now,
and the christmas. I'd wait for 512mb ddr400 to hit $40 for top brands.
For me, that plus:
Knoppix on CD
USB 2.0 HDD (40GB but it'll accept up to 250)

HomeLAN

Yeah, a USB external HDD might be an idea too.

Damn. It may just depend on pricing and my mood. I'll probably go at lunch today.

Thanks for the input, folks!

HomeLAN

So, thanks to a deal on the open box shelf, I got a HP dvd630i dual layer burner and 512 MB of PC2700. I did go over the cards by $20, but oh well.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
samcurry said:
burner! burner! burner! you wont regret it.
i second (or third [or forth {or fifth}]) the motion for the burner, mine gets worked out quite frequently.

and as far as memory goes, normal people can get away with 512, i go with 768 myself, at least until the bottom falls out on ddr-sodimms and ddr2.

Inkara1

HomeLAN said:
So, thanks to a deal on the open box shelf, I got a HP dvd630i dual layer burner and 512 MB of PC2700. I did go over the cards by $20, but oh well.
The best of both worlds. Nice. :D

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
HomeLAN said:
Cool, now you need DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. That's all you'll need.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
PT said:
Cool, now you need DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. That's all you'll need.
you don't even really need dvd decrypter if you're using dvd shrink, i only use it to burn dvd images because it's a lot quicker than nero