Very wierd file...

Kawaii

I just downloaded a certain file off a certain network... I won't go into detail regarding the file's contents because of forum rules... Anyway, here's the wierd thing: Every time i touched the file, explorer.exe restarted. No warnings, no nothing. Select the file, BAM! Restart. Add to a playlist, BAM! Restart. Any sort of interaction caused a restart of explorer.exe. I was finally able to wipe it using a 0-writing utility, which managed to destroy the file without reading it.
I'm not asking for help or anything, i'm just wondering wtf it was... A scan with NAV didn't show anything, and the file wasn't an executable... Any ideas? Corrupted FAT? Has this happened to you?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Don't download exe's from those places. Or at least get a cheap laptop to play with stuff like that, much safer.

Kawaii

PuterTutor said:
Don't download exe's from those places. Or at least get a cheap laptop to play with stuff like that, much safer.
It wasn't an exe. I would never do that... It was an avi, that's what puzzles me.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Hmm... I've had a couple avi's or wmv's that open popups. Don't quite know how, but they do it.

pc_builder

I've read that you can add script commands to video files to open webpages and stuff.

Here's some info from Microsoft itself.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...5e-0c55-452e-a0fa-3aa165e667c1&displaylang=en

When a content owner creates an audio or video stream, they can add script commands (such as URL script commands and custom script commands) to be encoded in the stream. When the stream is played back, the script commands can trigger events in an embedded player program, or they can open your browser and then navigate to a Web page. This behavior is by design.

Kawaii

pc_builder said:
I've read that you can add script commands to video files to open webpages and stuff.

Here's some info from Microsoft itself.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...5e-0c55-452e-a0fa-3aa165e667c1&displaylang=en
But i didn't play it... I simply seleced it by clicking on it, and explorer.exe comitted suicide(restarted a couple seconds later)... This happened every time i tried to touch it in any way. :shrug:
Haha, i can just imagine *.avi and explorer.exe sitting in a bar... Explorer says 'hey baby, wanna come with me and hang at Winamp's place? *.avi bitchslaps explorer and storms out in a pissy fit... Explorer drowns his failure in booze and wakes up with a hangover, only to try to hit on *.avi again...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
WinXP?

Explorer tries to extracts file information by default (without you opening the file), that could be where the problem lies.

Kawaii

Luis G said:
WinXP?

Explorer tries to extracts file information by default (without you opening the file), that could be where the problem lies.
Right, the preview thingie... I forgot about that. Damn. I guess i could've tried viewing it in Linux with Totem or whatever... Bah, why bother? The movie was a crappy one anyway.

IDLEchild

I don't know if this helps now but use WinDVD to play the file...quickly right click and choose it. It works.

Mirlyn

IDLEchild said:
I don't know if this helps now but use WinDVD to play the file...quickly right click and choose it. It works.
I'd set the folder view as Detail (anything other than Thumbnail) and shift-rightclick on the file and do Open With, then select the program. Might be easier than trying to beat XP to it. ;)

jimpeel

Jim - that was like...4 1/2 years ago.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA

I didn't look at the date and the program didn't post the warning that most boards give that the thread is over a certain age and do I really want to resurrect it. I just saw it in the quick links at the bottom of a page and click on it to see what the weird file might be.

Thanks.

MrBishop

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA

I didn't look at the date and the program didn't post the warning that most boards give that the thread is over a certain age and do I really want to resurrect it. I just saw it in the quick links at the bottom of a page and click on it to see what the weird file might be.

Thanks.

No worries. I spot spiders looking at old stuff all the time and have been guilty of pinning up old topics myself occasionally.

Your links are still pretty good tho'
Thx

jimpeel

I love VLC Media Player.

Are you a new user or have you been using it for a long time now? Have you tried any of the advanced features like streaming to your LAN or WAN?

This is an interesting site you may be interested in. I tried it and was able to stream a video file from my PC to my wife's notebook over the WAN in my home.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/29/how-to-stream-almost-anything-using-vlc/

Much better than the VLC instructions HERE

Pretty cool stuff.