Warning for cat owners

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
EPA
hartzvictimsdotorg

*sigh*

It seems that some cats cannot tolerate the Hartz neck drops etcetera for flea prevention, and it's killing them. I gave an extra tube to my neighbour for her cat, I put a tube on each of my cats about a month ago. I was reading the next day, and found all this info...but as she for some reason told me that she'd put it on her cat already, never went and told her about it. A few days ago, she actually put it onto the cat, and it went into seizures within a couple hours, and died later that night, with the vet placing blame squarely on these drops.

inP022171_12d07.jpg
(mine were in different packaging but same diff)

My cats fared ok, but I'll not take the risk again...and just wanted to make sure you guys all know too.

:(

Rose

I've used the over 10 pounds for Jane before. Didn't do anything to her. Including work. In fact, it was worthless and the fleas paid no attention to it. I ended up bathing her after three weeks from when I put it on and then taking her to the vet for stronger Advantage drops.

I'm sorry to hear it hurt your neighbor's cat, though. :(

Mare

I used to put the drops on my cats...They HATED it and would try their darnest to lick it off by wetting their paw and trying to reach back there, rolling on their backs like it was really bothering them....... :confused:
Sorry to hear about your neighbor's kitty though, thats a shame.
Wonder if she could sui the company for it killing her cat?????

HomeLAN

Thanks, Leslie. I don't own cats (allergic wife), but some family members do. They've now been warned.

freako104

I wonder if they will do a recall on this since it is harmful and deadly to kitties. they damn well should

Rose

I hate to be the devil's advocate, but the cat could have been allergic to something in the product that caused the fatal reaction. To get all pissed off at the company/product over one incident is kind of ... extreme?

I mean, I had no adverse reaction on my cat, other than the product didn't work as designed -- it didn't eliminate fleas. A friend has used the same product made for dogs (same brand) on their dogs and didn't have any adverse reactions. I believe they used the under-10 pounds on their cat, too, with no troubles.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
This isn't just one cat...It's just the one cat I happen to know. Google it and there are bajillions of links...there are vets here in town and everywhere down through the States campaigning against this product.

It's badbadbad :disgust:

Amy Peters loves her two cats.

070904hartz.jpg

[font=verdana,san-serif]Hartz Flea & Tick Drops for cats. Image © 2004, FLORIDA TODAY[/font]"They're my babies," the Rockledge woman said.

To protect her pets from fleas and ticks, Peters recently treated both with a chemical product from the Hartz Mountain Corp. of Secaucus, N.J., one of the world's leading sellers of pet-related items.

One cat, 12-year-old Callie, had no major problems other than mild skin irritation. The other, 11-year-old Kahlua, suffered a seizure and nearly died because of the treatment, said Dr. Gregg Shinn, of the Rockledge Animal Clinic, where the cat was taken.

Hartz executives repeatedly have said their products undergo rigorous testing to meet Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards.

They also said they have no intention of removing them from stores despite complaints from all over the country that the products, in some cases, are making cats sick, or killing them.

Shinn said he first cared for sick cats treated with Hartz in the late 1990s. He said he has treated at least 15 who had adverse reactions to the company's flea and tick products. Four died.

"Animals still are suffering because of these products," Shinn said. "But Hartz keeps selling the stuff."

Shinn is not alone in his complaints about Hartz, although no one knows for sure why some cats have been adversely affected by the products.

Hartz, for its part, has been in the middle of a nationwide firestorm over these flea and tick products for cats since March 2001.

That is when the EPA, which regulates pesticides in the United States, began investigating complaints that first started surfacing in the late 1990's.

Complaints were coming from all over the country and still come in, but in smaller numbers now, Norman Spurling, an EPA official, said from Washington.

Spurling could not say precisely how many animals have taken ill, or died, after being treated with Hartz products. But he said the number has been in the thousands.

In late 2002, Hartz, in an agreement with the EPA, said it would pull hundreds of thousands of tick and flea products from store shelves and re-label them, which it has done.

"We are paying close attention to ongoing reports of incidents of cats and kittens and use of these (Hartz) or similar products," EPA spokesman Dave Deegan said.

But, so far, the agency has not taken any regulatory action, such as removing the product from the market, Deegan said.

The two Hartz products in question are the Hartz Advanced Care Brand Flea and Tick Drops Plus for Cats and Kittens and Hartz Advanced Care Brand Once-a-Month Flea and Tick Drops for Cats and Kittens.

"The re-labeling was not a recall," Dr. Albert Ahn, a licensed veterinarian and Hartz's chief scientific officer, said from the company's headquarters in Secaucus near New York City. "It was an orderly product exchange."

He said Hartz has sold 90 million of its flea and tick products for cats since 2000 and that "only one in 25,000 cats" has suffered a reaction.

Ahn also stressed his company has committed itself to serving millions of pets and takes that commitment seriously.

The new labels instruct users to apply only a single spot of the chemical on a cat's collarbone. The original labels instructed pet owners to spread the chemical in a stripe along a cat's back.

The application of a spot, rather than a stripe, reduces the opportunity a cat has to lick the chemical.

Still, many pet owners nationwide continue to go the Internet to tell their personal stories about the Hartz products.

One Web site, HartzVictims.org, contains numerous such stories, many of them mirroring that of Amy Peters, the Rockledge woman.

Peters, an artist, bartender and student, said she bought Hartz Advanced Care Brand Once-a-Month Flea and Tick Drops for Cats and Kittens at a Wal-Mart store in Merritt Island in early June.

The product is one that was relabeled in the agreement between Hartz and the EPA.

Peters returned to her cottage in Rockledge, opened the packets, and applied the chemical first to Callie, a long-haired calico, then to Kahlua, a long-haired tortoise shell.

The next day, Kahlua suffered a seizure, shaking uncontrollably.

"It was horrible," Peters said. "I was freaking and crying and grabbed her and rushed her to the vet."

Fortunately, the seizures subsided after Kahlua arrived at the Rockledge Animal Clinic, and she recovered after being administered fluids to flush out her system.

The veterinarians there also gave her Valium, and she continued to twitch the next day before recovering.

But Hartz' Ahn said that his product does not pose any dangers to animals.

"Obviously, one sick cat is too many, but we do not feel our product is at fault," he said, adding that the EPA has no issues with the chemicals Hartz uses in its products.

Ron Brakke, a Dallas, Texas, consultant for the animal-health industry agrees with Ahn, saying, "My view is all flea and tick products are generally (are not a danger) so long as the pet owner uses the product the way it is proscribed on the label."

But don't say that to Amy Peters. "All I know is I tried to help Kahlua by giving her a flea and tick treatment," Peters said. "And I almost killed her. It makes me sick to think about it."

Stop Laughing

Thanks for the heads up on that, Les. We sell this product at the store too, and though I hate to not promote a product, it's much worse to even possibly recommend it knowing the dangers of it.

Uki Chick

Good to know! My cats are all indoor cats and I've never needed to use any flea medications on any of them so I guess I'm lucky in that sense. I don't even remember seeing the product here. I'll have to take a look one day.

brownjenkins

thanks for the info... used these myself... with questionable results anyway

in fact, i'm wondering if i'll have better luck just letting the cat fend for itself and putting a collar on myself ;)

PrincessLissa

Thanks! We don;t have much problems with fleas and stuff here, but if anything ever happens, I will make suer we don't use that.