Waterboarding was okay in 2002

Cerise

I'm not sure how much clearer it can be.

Jose Padilla? An American punk gang banger turned wannabe terrorist who approached al Qaida with the idea to detonate a dirty bomb in a US city was found to be an 'enemy combatant' and and along with two con-conspirators was convicted of the charges of conspiring to support terrorism abroad.

It only took the jury of his peers one day to find him guilty.

Here's a couple of bios on the boi:

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/crime/terrorists/jose-padilla/

http://www.time.com/time/pow/article/0,8599,262269,00.html

It was established by the government from the time he was picked up by the authorities to the point when his lawyers were whining about his innocence in front of a judge that he was 'engaged in hostilities as part of an armed conflict against the United States.'

He wasn't just the average anybody you seem to think can be called an 'enemy combatant' whenever the gov. feels like it and 'disappeared' indefinately. He is a filthy, stinking lowlife traitor who would happily work alongside other filthy terrorists in an attempt to destroy this country.

He is serving his time in a federal supermax prison shared by fellow terrorists Richard Reid, Zacarias Mussaoui, Ramzi Yusef, Omar Abdel-Rahman, and 'American Taliban' John Walker Lindh, who after a brief stint went to an Indiana prision.

spike

It was established by the government from the time he was picked up by the authorities to the point when his lawyers were whining about his innocence in front of a judge that he was 'engaged in hostilities as part of an armed conflict against the United States.'

He was sentenced to 17 years for a thought crime. No actions or combat.

Exactly the kind of thing that Gonz is against.

The important thing point is that we've established that you are all for imprisoning US citizens indefinitely without trial, torturing them, and classifying them as an enemy combatant. Even if they weren't involved in any "combat". That is anti-American.

Cerise

Would you agree that we are in 'combat' with alQaida? Would you also agree that Padilla was seeking an alQaida membership?

The meaning of 'combat' transcends the literal definition.

He was sentenced to 17 years for a thought crime. No actions or combat.

Padilla was lucky. He should've been shot dead as a traitor. As should've Lindh. And the same when we find Adam Gadahn aka 'Azzam the American'.

The important thing point is that we've established that you are all for...

I am all for an extended vaca when they are proven to be working in concert with terrorists against this country.

Are you trying to imply that's a bad thing?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
hank.jpg

My God, are you STILL talking?

spike

Would you agree that we are in 'combat' with alQaida? Would you also agree that Padilla was seeking an alQaida membership?

I have no idea what Pidilla was seeking.

I am all for an extended vaca when they are proven to be working in concert with terrorists against this country.

Are you trying to imply that's a bad thing?

"Proven" is the the key word in that sentence. If you approve of holding US citizens indefinitely without trial that is the problem.

Nothing is proven until the trial. What you are endorsing would have the founders rolling in their grave.

2minkey

bootlicker
our rights are sacred...

unless upholding them would make us look like anything other than a commie, er... (pause for post_cold_war update)... muslim terrorist bashing macho hero!

come on spike, get with the program. stop thinking for yourself. only sissies do that.

2minkey

bootlicker
I AM anti-democracy you silly boy. Democracy is mob rule. 50% +1 and you win -- or lose. It was soundly rejected by the Founding Fathers of this country as a non-viable form of government.

right. and now you've become the corporate apologist, because those fuckers sure have the same original intent as our forefathers. You know, the dirt farmers that envisioned outsourcing programming jobs to bangalore...

and again i'm continually amazed by the attitudes of everyday folks that identify with the political interests of the extremely wealthy, somehow perceiving a commonality of interest.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Given the choice of patterning aspects of my life after (insert multi-millionaire tycoon of your choice here) and patterning it after the unemployed/poor/handout seekers, which line you think I'm gonna stand in?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Look back through our history. Every time we've been at war, there's have been cuts to our liberty, in lesser & greater amounts. They've always been re-established. When someone decided to join the enemy & participate in their reindeer games, then he loses his rights. Sounds like a plan. If anyone knows about the local milkman being held in Saudi Turzikastani under the CIA directors thumb, let us know will ya?

minkey, I'd sure as hell rather identify with successful people than with the woe is me peons I usually deal with.

spike

When someone decided to join the enemy & participate in their reindeer games, then he loses his rights. Sounds like a plan.

Yeah, you don't get it. An American citizen can be accused (that means not proven guilty) of something and be held indefinitely without trial.

Are you for that? Once again a yes or no is kinda key.

minkey, I'd sure as hell rather identify with successful people than with the woe is me peons I usually deal with.

Seems minkey's point went over your head too.

jimpeel

Speaking of Padilla ... anyone see any physical resemblance here?

Anyone see any resemblance in the crimes for which they are both associated?

Anyone have any idea why Padilla is being kept out of sight, out of mind?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Seems minkey's point went over your head too.

Gee Wally, you're right.

Damn those corporate bastards. Let's form unions & drive them out of business. Let's tax away their freedom. Let's base their property taxes on the value of their income (current IN dem legislative idea). IN fact, let's JUST KILL THEM ALL!!!! Down with bourgeois ideals. I wanna eat cake!!!

Cerise

I have no idea what Pidilla was seeking.

"Proven" is the the key word in that sentence.

Nothing is proven until the trial.

One of the pieces of evidence used against him was an application form for entry to a terrorist training camp in Afghanistan with Padilla's fingerprints on it. Doesn't that give you an idea of what he was seeking?

spike

Whatever you think of Padilla the fact remains that you approve of holding our own citizens indefinitely without trial. A view the would make the founders weep.

jimpeel

Whatever you think of Padilla the fact remains that you approve of holding our own citizens indefinitely without trial. A view the would make the founders weep.

I have been against his detainment since it happened. We were told that the U.S.A.P.A.T.R.I.O.T.A.C.T. would not be used against U.S. citizens within the U.S. That turned out not to be true.

Padilla was arrested in the U.S.; and there was never any evidence that his ideas went any farther than braggadocio. They never presented any attempt to gain materials; they never produced any materials; they never produced any drawings, diagrams, or plans; they never produced any co-conspirators. They had absolutely nothing but some guy expressing a bad idea.

That was not so in the case of Ramzi Youssef.

Here is my problem with Padilla. He has an uncanny resemblamce to someone who the FBI denies existed at the OKC bombing. Look at the lip line. Look at the chin. Look at the brow. Look at the lines above the upper lip to the nose. Look at the nose.

What if he IS John Doe #2? Why then is the government keeping him sequestered away from prying questions about his possible role in the OKC bombing? I believe that it is because they need to make us continue to believe that the crime was perpetrated by a White militia type; and they can't afford to have a Middle Eastern influence be brought to the fore after they have already denied that link.

Anyone ever question why they were so swift to execute McVey while some guy who killed someone in a home invasion or botched robbery sits and languishes on death row for twenty years? Kill the voice -- kill the story.

2minkey

bootlicker
i'm just waiting for BMI or ASCAP to sue DoD on behalf of deicide for royalties.... those guys suck, i'm sure they need the money.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

YEA DAMNIT!!! They'd just shoot him & be done with it.