Welcome Lopan!

Lopan

And so beacuse I'm wearing a parrot posing pouch, clogs and a fly fishing trilby then I'm not normal. confounded. I am in an office half way up a mountain though.

The view from my office

ambleside1a.jpg

ok ok its a bit further down than that

ClaireBear

Banned
M'kay...

Can I just stress that while I'm British... Lopan is a very very special kind... entirely different from me... a breed apart...

:bolt:

Lopan

Its quite hard not to have a mountain view where I live. It all be mountains lakes and forests here. Certainly beats an industrial estate.

Winky

Britons who have held burglars in their homes until the police arrived, by using toy pistols, have been arrested along with the burglars. To the collectivist mindset, independent self-help of any sort is a threat to their vision of the government as the sole source of protection and direction.

If someone attacks you in Britain and you knock him down, you are not allowed to hit him again or you will be charged with assault. Apparently they think that someone who has been knocked down is now harmless. People who have led sufficiently sheltered lives may believe such things -- and impose such notions on others through the power of government.

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) has even advised that you are not to yell "help" when you are attacked in a public place. You are to yell "Call the police."

Both self-defense and coming to the aid of others are lumped together as "vigilante" actions.

ClaireBear

Banned
Winky said:
Britons who have held burglars in their homes until the police arrived, by using toy pistols, have been arrested along with the burglars. To the collectivist mindset, independent self-help of any sort is a threat to their vision of the government as the sole source of protection and direction.

If someone attacks you in Britain and you knock him down, you are not allowed to hit him again or you will be charged with assault. Apparently they think that someone who has been knocked down is now harmless. People who have led sufficiently sheltered lives may believe such things -- and impose such notions on others through the power of government.

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) has even advised that you are not to yell "help" when you are attacked in a public place. You are to yell "Call the police."

Both self-defense and coming to the aid of others are lumped together as "vigilante" actions.

Yup... Britain... what a place!.... :D

Lopan

We don't have comparitive crime levels with the states though. It is still very rare for even criminals to carry guns. Most police in my experience will turn a blind eye to you giving a criminal who attacks or attempts to burgle your house, a good kicking. As long as you don't verge on GBH you are ok.

ClaireBear

Banned
Lopan said:
We don't have comparitive crime levels with the states though. It is still very rare for even criminals to carry guns. Most police in my experience will turn a blind eye to you giving a criminal who attacks or attempts to burgle your house, a good kicking. As long as you don't verge on GBH you are ok.

Hang on... I thought we were allowed to "kill" burglers now? :shrug:

Lopan

A.B.Normal said:
Great Big Hickey :shrug:

Grevious Bodily Harm.

We aren't allowed weapons by the government so we still have to be handy with what god gave us. There is also Actual Bodily Harm. Which I presume is less of a kicking and definately no bottles or high heels.

I think we should have Extreme Bodily Harm, where you are charged with ripping the assailants arm off and beating them to death with the soggy end.

Can you be murdered by you own hand?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
In the US, in most places, you are allowed to put a bullet, or two, in an attacker as long as the body remains inside your abode. If you kill him/her, and the body falls outside of the door, you could be in big trouble. If they actually survive, then they could sue you. :shrug: So...shoot him/her, drag the body inside your place, and then make sure he/she is dead. :grinyes:

Lopan

If they actually survive, then they could sue you. So...shoot him/her, drag the body inside your place, and then make sure he/she is dead.

Genius. Can you then nail them to your fence post so other burglars no not to bother trying to get into your house.