What book are you reading right now?

K62

Once again, I am bored.. so lets hear it!

I'll start er off.

Battleship Bismarck: A Survivor's Story

greenfreak

Just finished "The Time Travelers Wife" (pretty good, mostly a love story; don't read it while you're PMS'ing)

Now I'm reading The Memoirs of a Geisha; the life story of a real Geisha in Kyoto Japan. It's fascinating and horrifying at the same time.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Third book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, though I have been away from it for a few weeks now...

Next will be Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson (sp?). Heard bits and pieces on NPR in passing and got addicted despite the fact that I could not care less about diving or WWII Uboat history.

MrBishop

Just finished Baudolino by: Umberto Eco and I'm half-way through Pattern Recognition by William Gibson.

I'm thinking of touching on the Dune series again afterwards...after a mere ~14 year absense

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
K62 said:
Once again, I am bored.. so lets hear it!

I'll start er off.

Battleship Bismarck: A Survivor's Story

[sings]We'll find that German battleship thats makin' such a fuss
We gotta sink the Bismark 'cause the world depends on us
Hit the decks a-runnin' boys and spin those guns around
When we find the Bismark we gotta cut her down[/sings]

Seriously though, you should read Night of the Caribou if you can get your hands on it. It's about the sinking of the S.S. Caribou, I bought it on board the MV Caribou going to NFLD one time...it's AWESOME.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Introduction to digital audio coding and standards - Bosi, Goldberg
Advanced digital signal processing - Zelniker
Signals and systems - Oppenheim

To arrive this week:
Psychoacoustics: Facts and models - Zwicker
Signal Compression, Coding of Speech, Audio, Image and Video - Jayant
MPEG Handbook - Watkinson

And a bunch of IEEE papers.

Last book read not related to my research:
Art of Loving - Erich Fromm
Julieta - Marques de Sade (left it at 40%)

K62

Nixy said:
[sings]We'll find that German battleship thats makin' such a fuss
We gotta sink the Bismark 'cause the world depends on us
Hit the decks a-runnin' boys and spin those guns around
When we find the Bismark we gotta cut her down[/sings]

Seriously though, you should read Night of the Caribou if you can get your hands on it. It's about the sinking of the S.S. Caribou, I bought it on board the MV Caribou going to NFLD one time...it's AWESOME.

LOL, good old Johnny Horton, eh? When I was young boy I had my mother call up the local radio station and request that song. ;)

Hmm really, that does look interesting.. if I can find it I will give it a shot.

I have another book lined up after this about the battle of Jutland.

Dave

havent read a book in months. last one i read was the poisonwood bible by barbara kingsolver. well....most of it at least....

MrBishop

Almost forgot...since being gifted with an MP3 player this Christmas, I've found audiobooks quite nice for long walks alone. I'm listening to Inferno, by Danté and I just finished The Universe in a Nutshell by Hawkings. :D

Anyone else into audiobooks?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I tried a couple of audiobooks when I had a long commute to work. NOw, I stick to real books. Audios are terrific for long solitary car trips though.

FluerVanderloo

K62 said:
LOL, good old Johnny Horton, eh? When I was young boy I had my mother call up the local radio station and request that song. ;)
I prefer Battle of New Orleans :)

Currently reading Blood and Gold by Anne Rice. Three more to go and I'm done the Chronicles! Also reading No Greater Love by Danielle Steel (don't really like her, but it's not a bad read for boredom) and Duty Faithfully Performed by John M. Taylor

MrBishop

SouthernN'Proud said:
I tried a couple of audiobooks when I had a long commute to work. NOw, I stick to real books. Audios are terrific for long solitary car trips though.
I only wish that I had time to read... mostly my books are now relegated to "bathroom books" and often interrupted by my wife hitting the door and saying "Don't fall asleep in there" :D

I used to read like a madman when I used to take public transportation and when I worked overnight in auditing. 1 book/week or more. Now...I walk to help me sleep...and I get headaches when I try to walk and read.

kuulani

I'm a book whore.

I just finished The Romanov Prophesy & Pompeii.
Now I'm halfway through The Birth Of Venus.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've finally found time to read Black House (Stephen King, Pater Straub collaboration)

Treason by Ann Colter & I'm inching my way thru the full Federalist Papers.

tonksy

my eyes are much too bad for recreational reading but i am muddling through spanish for dummy.
*ahem....el hombre es muy alto.