What does everyone think...

MrBishop

Whether they try and strong-arm the banks in question is another argument entirely. They could have as easily just changed the regs to control the bank's actions.

This is more like a cash influx through the purchase of stocks in said banks. To nationalize a bank would mean to control 100% interest in said bank. From what I understand, they didn't even buy controlling interest (50%+ of stock.)

Perhaps I'm giving them more credit than they're due.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
A long time ago in Mexico, banks were private, then the government nationalized them, now they are private again.

You guys are short sighted, while nationalized banks could become a permanent part of the government, it is just as easy for the government to sell them back. Something I think will happen in a few years.

chcr

Too cute for words
A long time ago in Mexico, banks were private, then the government nationalized them, now they are private again.

You guys are short sighted, while nationalized banks could become a permanent part of the government, it is just as easy for the government to sell them back. Something I think will happen in a few years.

Same thing happened here in the 1930s Luis. The difference is in the people who run our country now. I don't think they can be trusted at all. :shrug:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Same thing happened here in the 1930s Luis. The difference is in the people who run our country now. I don't think they can be trusted at all. :shrug:

:hmm: Depends upon how you define the word 'trust', innit? Me...I trust everybody. I trust you to get a knowing chuckle out of that...I trust spike to laugh out loud at that...I trust minkey to shake his head at that...etc. I also trust the government to line their pockets at taxpayer expense whether the crises we face are real or imagined. Then I trust the Democrats to blame the Republicans for screwing it up even though both sides got rich.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
As if I need to place any remark here.

Imagine it this way....Freddie & Fannie were government intertwined semi-private capital corporations. If this is what happens when the government is only overseeing the company....

MrBishop

As if I need to place any remark here.

Imagine it this way....Freddie & Fannie were government intertwined semi-private capital corporations. If this is what happens when the government is only overseeing the company....
...then they weren't overseeing it enough?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member

They were getting bribes and kickbacks that were called 'consulting fees' and 'campaign contributions' to look the other way...to the detriment of the very people that placed them in their positions. To make matters worse, they are now denying any blame in the matter and the sheep are buying it...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

An entrepeneur sticks his neck out & the company thrives or fails.

A CEO gets involved & stocks soar or sink.

The government sticks it finger in the pie & it turns black & dies. Period. End of story.