What TV should I buy?

greenfreak

So, in case you didn't read the other thread on the power outage, we had a casualty--my tv. I've had it for 8 years and it's a 22 inch Samsung which has been ok. Not great, but ok. I did notice that the sound was getting a little wonky anyway.

So... Now what? I know nothing about tv's, brands, specs, what I should be looking for... I should have asked before because we'll probably go shopping on Sunday and maybe ask my parents to borrow the truck to bring it home. Somehow, I don't think it's going to fit in the back seat of my Cavalier.

Anyway, we have no idea what size we're talking about or how much to spend either because I got the cheapo unit last time. I just looked at something Rusty suggested:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8043&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_9&oid=58643

Yikes, that's expensive. I don't know if I want to go a full 10 inches larger than the last one. But I haven't bought a tv in 8 years so maybe I have to spend that kind of money to get a good product?

What do you think?

alex

That's a nice TV. I just looked at Best Buy's sale paper for last week and that same model was $699. I bought a 36" Sony Wega a couple of years ago......I won't even tell you how much I paid for it, but I really like it. If you don't watch alot of TV, you might go with a 27". It's bigger than your old one and will save you about $200-$250. Good luck :)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Keep in mind that in '06 analog signals will disappear, to be replaced with digital (HD). You'll then need to A)buy another TV or B)purchase a digital converter which may end up costing as much as a new TV.

The Sony is nice but in my opinion, overpriced, as are all Sony products.

HeXp£Øi±

Three things greeny and not just for you but for everyone. The first as i'm sure you're already well aware is that everything will be digital within the next couple of years so definetely go digital. Secondly and maybe even more importantly is the fact that you will probably have this tv longer then your car. It's going to be a part of the family so go the extra mile. Another $200 is going to be well worth it since this relationship will probably last the next 6-12 years. Finally i'd say when it comes to digital think features, features, features since the features will be expanding with the switch to a digital mainstream.

whoreable

shit if you are just replaceing a 22 inch there is no way i would go digital. you can get 21 inch tvs for like under 100. now if you are planning on spending over 600 then i might consider going digital, but tvs have gotten so cheap they are practicaly disposable anyways. You can find 27 inch tvs for near 200 pretty easy. by the time digital goes mainstream you can aford to trash it. not exaclty something i would do if i spend 700 dollars on a non digital tv.

personaly i wouldnt get the wega. there seem to be alot of cheaper flat screens out that are pretty comparable.

I would not spend over 400 dollars on a non-digital tv myself. I would either go all out and get an expensive digital or be reasonable and get a 200 or so dollar 27"

HeXp£Øi±

Ok listen up you virgin whore, i really couldn't disagree more. There's a HUGE difference between even a mere 640x480 resolution that you will find on a digital tv and a crappy normal tv. Secondly, every cable provider in the nation must be digital by 2005. This means(i think but am not certain) that if your boobtube doesn't have the digital features that you'll have to rent the cable box. Digital's the way to go regardless of size imo.

Oh and sorry about the virginwhore thing.

whoreable

yes but by the time digital becomes mainstream, the tvs will be significantly cheaper. My point is basicaly instead of spending 1000 on a hdtv now, by a regualr on for 200 the buy an hdtv when they are needed, at a much lower price.

I obviously know there is a difference, but it makes alot more sense to not buy an hdtv till needed. In 2 years they will probaly be less than half the price easily.

Digital might be the way to go, just not now(unless you get a projection screen or bigger than 32").

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
My only advice is to stay away from RCA. I've had two of thier tv's and both have had major problems.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
whoreable said:
yes but by the time digital becomes mainstream, the tvs will be significantly cheaper. My point is basicaly instead of spending 1000 on a hdtv now, by a regualr on for 200 the buy an hdtv when they are needed, at a much lower price.

Nice theory, one fatal drawback. Supply & demand. Right now the supply side is way higher than the demand side so the price is lowering (not as quickly as it should either). When every Joe in the country realizes he's gonna be without a TV, demand goes up & the price either stays (sells more) or inflates (better profits).

If you can get a HDTV in the next 18 months or so, get it. After that, the price will become a problem.

rrfield

I have my doubts that everything will be digital by 2006. The TV stations are way behind on this. The station manager at WISH-TV 8 in Indianapolis projected that the real all-digital date will be 2012 (I interviewd him for a paper I did in a telecom class a few years ago).

rrfield

whoreable

I agree its not gonna be a change that happens in one day. Its not gonna be that everyone's old tv will stop working all of a sudden and everyone will rush out and buy one. Hell tv stations realize this and will surely continue their analog broadcasts for a few years.

I serioulsy doubt the price is gonna go up. Every manufacturer will be making them, technology will get cheaper, and I think most companies realize that there are few people that will spend 1k on a tv(which is about the minimum NOW). Tv companies are not stupid enough stop making tvs for their main customer base.

chcr

Too cute for words
Well, as I understand it, viewing all digital tv on your old analog set will be no different, the only thing that will change is that if you have digital capability, your viewing will be very much enhanced. that said, I would certainly spend more money if I were buying a new tv to get one that was digital capable. Does anyone know if there is a standard yet? Last time I looked there were a couple of competing ones. Sometimes it's hard to tell which way to jump (and betamax always had a better picture than VHS),

HeXp£Øi±

Alright greeny these guys don't know what they're talking about. Just pick yourself up one of these and stop worrying.

pye_lv20.jpg

rrfield

The analog signals WILL go away, sometime. Right now, TV stations have been allocated a second channel for their digital broadcast while the conversion happens.

At some point, the FCC will tell TV stations they have to give back their old channel, then the FCC will auction this spectrum off to the highest bidder, or to whoever is donating to the current administration.

rrfield

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
chcr said:
Well, as I understand it, viewing all digital tv on your old analog set will be no different, the only thing that will change is that if you have digital capability, your viewing will be very much enhanced. that said, I would certainly spend more money if I were buying a new tv to get one that was digital capable. Does anyone know if there is a standard yet? Last time I looked there were a couple of competing ones. Sometimes it's hard to tell which way to jump (and betamax always had a better picture than VHS),

Will Analog Sets Stop Working?

Most of the sets on the market today (as well as in most people’s homes) are designed to receive traditional, analog broadcast signals. Congress has required broadcasters to stop sending an analog television signal by December 31, 2006, or when 85% of the households in a market are capable of receiving a digital broadcast signal, if that date is later. When this happens, consumers with analog sets will need to purchase a set-top digital converter in order to receive digital broadcast signals over-the-air, although they may still be able to receive programming through their cable or satellite provider. The signals they receive, however, will not display the full benefits of DTV.

FCC Consumer Conerns

chcr

Too cute for words
Sorry, sometimes I forget that people still receive tv signals through the ether. :D

pc_builder

I shouldn't comment on the TV thing. I've spoiled myself with my 61" Toshiba projection screen tv. I love it, it's expensive (sad for me, but I make payments) and when TV broadcasts go all digital, I'll have to buy a converter. I'm not giving up this tv until it EXPLODES.

On a side note, I read that the first generation HDTV's are going to be worthless paperweights because a DIFFERENT high definition format will be implemented. I don't know why. Anyway, anyone who bought an HDTV when they first came out might have to buy a special converter for those, too, if such a thing is even possible then. Or if what I read was even true. It might have been a rumor or idle gossip.

edit: because I had to cover my ass. :moon:

Mirlyn

rrfield said:
At some point, the FCC will tell TV stations they have to give back their old channel, then the FCC will auction this spectrum off to the highest bidder, or to whoever is donating to the current administration.
Heh, I've heard everything from improving the congested emergency block to wireless broadband to new cell phone networks. I think the latter to your statement is more correct. ;)'

Oh, and don't go Daewoo either.