What TV should I buy?

rrfield

Gonz said:
Congress has required broadcasters to stop sending an analog television signal by December 31, 2006, or when 85% of the households in a market are capable of receiving a digital broadcast signal, if that date is later.

this is the key, the 85% factor...I dont imagine it will happen until well after 2006....

rrfield

greenfreak

Thanks guys. :)

I'm a plain jane and tend to wait a while before getting into new technologies. Hell, I just stopped using my tape cassette in my car about a year ago when I bought a CD/MP3 player. We just got a DVD player a year ago too and I refuse to give up my VCR.

So when you're talking digital vs. analog and features like picture in picture, I'm not all that impressed yet. Yes, the tv should last a hellofa long time, my last POS lasted me 8 years. And that was a crappy 21" Samsung that broke within a month of me getting it; I got it replaced with a 22" Samsung at the same price. I think all told it cost $200.

Anyway, the digital thing is not something I'm concerned with now, although reading all this I probably should be. We'll probably wind up getting the converter later if absolutely neccessary.

And although Sony may be overpriced, you can't discount their reputation and quality. Of all the reviews I read online for 27"-32" tv's, they were the best.

So... We hit Circuit City this morning and got the 27" Sony flat panel WEGA with the extended 3 year at-home service warranty: http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-11482&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_4&oid=57605

And we got the Bush tv stand to go with it because our old tv stand doesn't look like it could handle 100lbs:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-9798&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_2&oid=64409

Rusty is in there now hooking it up. We saved a couple of feet of space too because we couldn't fit all our components in the old stand. And we used to have to disconnect the DVD player whenever we wanted to play Playstation. Now we have three seperate hookups in the back and one in the front. No PIP, we didn't want to pay the extra $100. for that model. All told, it cost about the same as the 32" would without the stand and warranty.

I wanted a black tv but apparently, they decided they're not going to really make them anymore. Silver is "the new black" apparently. That's ok I guess. I'm just happy we can watch Inside the Actor's Studio and Sex and the City tonight. We were getting the shakes being without a tv for two days. :eek:

Pad, I saw that tv too. Call me a wimp but I was kinda afraid of it ;) That kind of tv would monopolize our room, I can't afford to spend that much yet. Well at least until we get our own house and have a huge "home theatre". :D Then a tv like pc_builders might do it. I think we'd have to win the lottery first though. ;)

Thanks again guys, we appreciate it!!

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I feel for your old set, GF. My Zenith 27" I bought 6 years ago just went TU. I was going to use my per diem to move into a bigger apartment, but now it looks like I'll be shopping for a TV as well. Unlike you and Rusty, however, I'll be looking to go digital. It will have to have the 16:9 aspect ratio, and be able to convert all 3 digital formats out right now( 1080i, 720p, and 480p/i), as well as analog. I'll also be buying that digital tuner that nobody seems to include with the set. So far, I've only found one brand that can do this...Sony...If anybody out there can steer me somewhere less expensive, please don't hesitate to inform me.

AlladinSane

Do you have LG brand there? I heard they used to be third part providers for Sony, they use the same components and similar technology for a cheaper price. That's what I would buy today. As for brands I had nothing but problems with Philips and Toshiba...

Mirlyn

AlladinSane said:
Do you have LG brand there? I heard they used to be third part providers for Sony, they use the same components and similar technology for a cheaper price. That's what I would buy today. As for brands I had nothing but problems with Philips and Toshiba...

Yep we do, though not sure if they are bringing tv's over too or not. They just started into appliances. Also known for CDROMs and cell phones.

Gato_Solo

Thanks for the info. I found this, but it costs a bit more than I want to pay right now. Perhaps the Samsung. Anybody got any good news about the latter brand?

HeXp£Øi±

Solo, that first one kicksazz! I could see myself upgrading my monitor to something like that maybe two years from now when you can get one used for <$1200. Resolution is key and 1280x1024 for dvd's would blow a hifi tv out of the water.

Gato_Solo

HeXp£Øi± said:
Solo, that first one kicksazz! I could see myself upgrading my monitor to something like that maybe two years from now when you can get one used for <$1200. Resolution is key and 1280x1024 for dvd's would blow a hifi tv out of the water.

Unfortunately, this is the price you pay. Over $4,000 USD is, IMO, 3 times too much.

greenfreak

Samsung was my last tv, the one that died a few weeks after I got it and had to have replaced. The newer one lasted 8 years and it was already showing signs of wear; the sound was getting crappy. But that was a long time ago and it was a low-end tv. I don't know about their reputation now.

If you go to Circuit City's website, they have reviews from people who have bought the tv's, that might help. There were 90 reviews for the tv I bought so there's a good number of people who do them. I wonder if CNET or Epinions.com would have reviews?

HeXp£Øi±

Gato_Solo said:
Unfortunately, this is the price you pay. Over $4,000 USD is, IMO, 3 times too much.

But it's not a tv it's a computer monitor(+TV). I'd be surprized to find something with those specs anywhere for under $4000.

Gato_Solo

HeXp£Øi± said:
But it's not a tv it's a computer monitor(+TV). I'd be surprized to find something with those specs anywhere for under $4000.

Why? It's just an extra connection on the back of the screen. Hell...You can get cards that let your computer run NTSC broadcasts for less than $200, so why does it cost an extra $2,000 for the same idea for a TV?

Dave

just bought this:
Sony 51" HDTV projection tv

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/5450/5450479_sa.jpg
misc_bullet_ccccff.gif
HD Detailer wideband video amplifier for superb detail
misc_bullet_ccccff.gif
2-tuner TwinView picture-and-picture lets you watch 2 equally sized shows at once
misc_bullet_ccccff.gif
3D digital comb filter removes unwanted visual artifacts
misc_bullet_ccccff.gif
Flash Focus automatic and manual convergence
misc_bullet_ccccff.gif
40-watt MTS stereo audio system with auto SAP, Steady Sound volume leveler, BBE enhancement and SRS TruSurround 2-speaker simulated surround sound
misc_bullet_ccccff.gif
DVI-HDTV interface allows monitor to display copy-protected HD content from compatibly equipped HDTV receivers
misc_bullet_ccccff.gif
2 sets of wideband HD component video inputs provide connectivity for ED and HD sources (progressive-scan DVD players and digital set-top boxes, for example)
misc_bullet_ccccff.gif
4 A/V inputs (1 front, 3 rear); 1 front and 2 rear S-video connections with automatic S-video detection; 2 coaxial RF inputs, rear monitor and variable/fixed audio outputs
misc_bullet_ccccff.gif
Luminous universal remote
misc_bullet_ccccff.gif
Standard-definition, enhanced-definition and high-definition digital television monitors require an optional set-top box to decode over-the-air digital TV broadcasts
have to wiat until tuesday for the delivery....

Dave

its a combination of x-mas and birthday gifts from us to us. :D

its a 51" screen. anything bigger than that in our little living room might make our eyes explode.

Dave

got this for free when we bought the tv.
5452066_ra.jpg

about the size of a portable CD player.