Whatcha cookin'?

tonksy

I was watching Alton Brown the other night and he was talking about how the average household has roughly 100 items in their grocery repetoire and they seldom deviate from them. While I think my number is higher, I tend to somewhat agree.
So in an effort to broaden my home cooking horizons I want to know what you guys are cooking up.
Come on, let's share!

BlurOfSerenity

i probably have fewer items, with pasta of various shapes and sizes being a main staple, and vodka sauce being another, jay and i have that for dinner at least a few times a week.
haha, now i want to ravage the kitchen and count the items i routinely buy and use.
i'm curious to broaden my cooking horizons too. *sits next to tonksy and waits for people to answer*

Altron

I'm eating a strange mix of whatever I can find in the fridge or purchase at a 24/7 Wawa.

Speaking of which, I am out of bread. I'm going to see what my mom is making for dinner. This will be my first maternally-prepared meal at home in about a week. Usually I don't have a proper dinner.

tonksy

Tonight I made:
Honey mustard glazed mini ham steaks.
Southern green beans with onion, bacon, and red potatoes.
Corn casserole.

Altron

Seems that tonight I will be expressing my testicular fortitude by grilling. Gonna chop up some onions, mix 'em with the ground beef, make some burgers, put some Emeril BAM and Emeral Steak Rub on them and fire up the Weber.

tonksy

Ash - Corn casserole
In a 13 X 9 pan melted 1/4 cup of margarine. Stir in 1 can of creamed corn, 1 can of kernel corn drained, 1 package of corn muffin mix (jiffy is best), 1 cup of sour cream, 2 tsp sugar, add salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning to taste. Bake for about 40 minutes or until set and the edges are lightly brown. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
I serve this underneath collard greens or other green veggies but it is good by itself.
I had posted this in the veggie recipes thread a while back and just noticed a typo. It's 1/4 cup butter, not 1 cup butter :O
Talk about heart attack casserole!

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I work late every Tuesday, so that's the one night I am guaranteed not to cook a damn thing.

I have plans to make in the near future dishes ranging from simple spaghetti to grilled steaks to BBQ pork backbones with pineapple glaze to frog legs.

I hate the kitchen where we are until the house gets replaced, so I haven't done any proper cooking in some time. Within two weeks of being back in our own place, I intend to whip out a batch of my oft imitated never duplicated soon to be semi world famous stuffed peppers though. And I have been informed that soon thereafter I will be preparing at least a double batch of the French bread pizzas.

tonksy

I used to make the best stuffed peppers but haven't in forever as Rob is allergic to one of the main ingredients.

tonksy

I am bumping this thread because part of my New Year's resolution is to eat healthier and to broaden my in home cooking horizons.
I found myself with no reading material on the trip home from Rob's Mother's so I bought a couple of cooking magazines at a gas station. They had some very interesting recipes. One magazine had done a spread on a Greek inspired family restaurant in Bessemer, Alabama. The recipes provided sounded terrific and happened to be allergen free for Rob!
We cooked 2 of them for dinner tonight:

The Bright Star's Greek-Styled Snapper

6 TBSPs of lemon juice
oregano to taste
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
1 cup plus 2 TBSPs extra-virgin olive oil
6 (8 oz) fresh Snapper Fillets
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup flour

In a bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oregano, salt, and pepper. Add olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Set sauce aside.
Coat each fillet evenly with melted butter. Lightly dust each fillet with flour.
In a lightly greased skillet or griddle cook fillets over medium high heat for approx. 5 minutes per side until fish is opaque and flakes easily with fork.
Pour sauce over fish and serve immediately.

This fish was very nice and light and would be a great summer meal served with a nice salad or veggie. I found that the rcipe made for quite a bit of left over emulsion so I was thinking it would be nice to steam up some broccili and layer that on a platter. Then you could put the fish on top of it and then pour the emulsion over the top of it all. Thisaway you are seasoning the fish and the broccili and you have a one plate serving meal!
It is also good with the following recipe:

Spinach and Rice Casserole

1 quart milk
1 cup butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 eggs, beaten
3 (10 oz) packages of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed thoroughly dry
2 1/2 - 3 cups cooked white rice
1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper (I used fresh ground black)
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 TBSP paprika
Preheat oven to 350. Generously grease a 13X9X2 inch baking dish; side aside.
In a saucepan, heat milk over low heat until hot, but do not boil.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly, and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add hot milk to flour mixture a little at a time, whisking to avoid lumps. Add a small amount of milk mixture to beaten eggs, whisking well. Add egg mixture to milk mixture, continuing to whisk until creamy and smooth. Cook for 1 minute over low heat. Set aside.
Place spinach evenly in baking dish. Layer on the rice, feta, and green onions. Season with salt and pepper. Pour on the sauce, evenly covering. Sprinkle with parmesan and paprika.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

This was divine! Very rich and creamy and I loved it! This is definitely covered dish party material. I was thinking it would make a great one dish meal if you add a layer of chopped ham or even diced tomatoes for you veggie-tarian types!

Sharky

That sounds tasty, Tonks! :licklips:

Where do you guys get your fish? Being able to choose from many good seafood markets, and the option of snatching them straight from the gulf is something I kinda take for granted down here.

tonksy

I actually had to use frozen as the market was out of Snapper. I usually don't ever do that but the fish guy showed me a brand that is flash frozen and vaccuumed-sealed. Being this far inland it's the best I can really hope for. I was pretty good.

Sharky

I actually had to use frozen as the market was out of Snapper. I usually don't ever do that but the fish guy showed me a brand that is flash frozen and vaccuumed-sealed. Being this far inland it's the best I can really hope for. I was pretty good.

You can find nice red snapper fillets fresh at most of the markets (you can't drop a hook in the gulf without pulling one in), but most of the snapper we use is from this guy who freezes the fillets in water in gallon-size ziploc bags. I swear you can't tell the difference from fresh. The trick is to flood them in water so that ice crystals don't form on them.

simplyred

I'm afraid I can't help with any expansion unless it involves a 5 minute or less meal. I'm working 2 jobs so tonight I threw together ground turkey with frozen onions, celery, and peppers. Added parsley, basil, Tony's seasoning, and garlic powder. Once meat browned added a can of Italian tomatoes and mushrooms. Served over toast with a salad from a bag. I guess you could call this Red-neck sketty. I call it made it in the 30 minutes I had at home! :)

rrfield

one of my favorite meals from my late-college/pre-marriage-post-college bachelor days.

1. brown mustard
2. ritz crackers

enjoy!