What's the difference?

Gotnolegs

From an outsider's pov it isn't easy to tell the difference between the Republicans and the Democrats? They both seem like right wing capitalists.

What exactly is the difference between the two outlooks, I know there are certain specific policies like gun control and the like but there must be a way of summin up the basic views of the parties.

Ms Ann Thrope

as chcr succinctly put it in another thread the difference is primarily marketing....

I see the Republican party as slightly more conservative than the Democrats, but the difference is negligible. :eh:

I go to this site if I want to see what lip service the candidates are paying to particular issues: www.vote-smart.org

AlphaTroll

The way I see it Republicans are more conservative, especially re social reform issues and tend to support certain governmental interferances in social and political freedoms.

Democrats are more liberal in terms of social issues and propegate less governmental interferance with social and political freedoms.

But yeah, that's an outsider's POV and doesn't encompass the whole spectrum of what the parties stand for.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gotnolegs said:
From an outsider's pov it isn't easy to tell the difference between the Republicans and the Democrats? They both seem like right wing capitalists.

What exactly is the difference between the two outlooks, I know there are certain specific policies like gun control and the like but there must be a way of summin up the basic views of the parties.

Hey GNL, I live here and I usually can't tell the difference. :shrug:

AlphaTroll said:
The way I see it Republicans are more conservative, especially re social reform issues and tend to support certain governmental interferances in social and political freedoms.

Democrats are more liberal in terms of social issues and propegate less governmental interferance with social and political freedoms.

These are the differences they pay lip service to, but the reality doesn't bear it out.

AlphaTroll

And all the different people who donate to their cause......but then *I cannot resist*....... Clinton came closest to being an honest politician - he really did pay for the lip service :retard:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Generally speaking...Most normal Americans (those not born with a silver spoon) begin adulthood as democrats looking at the world for reasons to celebrate life. If, however, they happen to find wealth instead, the become republicans and spend thier remaining years looking at the world for excuses to kill....:eh:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I don't think it's excuses to kill as much as excuses to keep their money. Republicans are generally more frugal, or greedy, depending on if you are one or not. Democrats seem to care more for the general public more, rather than the individual.

drkavnger99

If you want to sum up the public persona of a republican than think of less government control (current president not withstanding) then the democrats are for social everything (like to make themselves look like robin hood take from the rich give to the poor). In actuality no one actually when in office sticks with what they say they were going to do and blame the other party for blocking it in congress.

Ms Ann Thrope

scary doesn't even scratch the surface of how it makes me feel.... for the first time in my life I'm thinking of skipping the federal elections and only voting in my local and state elections :suicide:

also putting together a list of websites for overseas jobs.... it may not matter WHO wins, I'm ready to leave this place for good :mope:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Squiggy said:
Generally speaking...Most normal Americans (those not born with a silver spoon) begin adulthood as democrats looking at the world for reasons to celebrate life. If, however, they happen to find wealth instead, the become republicans and spend thier remaining years looking at the world for excuses to kill....:eh:

:rofl2:

good one

:lol:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
AlphaTroll said:

Nice spin two thumbs up

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Ms Ann Thrope said:
I've always thought Republicans were fascists that lacked the courage of their convictions. ;)

Yes ma'am. That's why Clinton is in jail & Martha is walking, scott free