What's your favorite genre, and why?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Anime-style action is my favorite (e.g. Dragonball Z :headbang:), because I've always been a fan of unreal stuff like energy blasts through rocks and super-strong beings.

Scanty

Dark comedies, probably. Because they a funny, but usually in a very clever and subtle way - using plenty of irony and sarcasm and things like that. Which I like. :D
Also - most of them have a tendency to have very good acting and scripts - v. important.

unclehobart

Scanty said:
Dark comedies, probably. Because they a funny, but usually in a very clever and subtle way - using plenty of irony and sarcasm and things like that. Which I like. :D
Also - most of them have a tendency to have very good acting and scripts - v. important.
ditto: Monty Python, Brazil, Dr Strangelove

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Monty Python is dark comedy? Warped, yes...Irreverant, yes...but dark?
Brazil is DEFINITELY dark comedy...especially the 'real' ending.
Dr. Strangelove was, in my opinion, kind-of stupid.

My favorite type of genre would be sci-fi followed by good, old-fashioned, silent movie comedies...especially Harold LLoyd flicks. ;)

Scanty

Gato_Solo said:
Monty Python is dark comedy? Warped, yes...Irreverant, yes...but dark?

I was questioning that one too, actually. But then I thought if you listen to some of the stuff they say in Monty Python, like...

"Oh! King, ay, very nice! And how did you get that, ay? By exploiting the workers! By hanging on to outdated, imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society..."

and

"We’re living in a dictatorship! A self-perpetuating autocracy..."

Yeah, I know, I know, it's supposed to be funny and it is. But it's still heavily satirical - and that's kind of what dark comedies do a lot of the time. Like...say, American Beauty or Fight Club.