Where can I find info on how to set up a wireless network

fury

Administrator
Staff member
using wifi? This one guy's wireless network is not working at all, and I have no idea how to fix it cause I've never set up a wireless network before. :mope:

greenfreak

fury said:
using wifi? This one guy's wireless network is not working at all, and I have no idea how to fix it cause I've never set up a wireless network before. :mope:

Isn't Mirlyn a wifi King? He might be able to tell you. The only info I got on wifi was from Dell's learning center for the certification. It was pretty good on the background but doesn't really give a "how-to".

chcr

Too cute for words
I've got one fury. Catch me at home later if no one else gets you going, okay?

rrfield

fury said:

What's the exact setup? Is this a broadband connection? Is the access point a standalone access point, or a wireless router setup?

a few basic things....

1) make sure the access point SSID and the PC's SSID are the same

2) make sure the WEP keys are the same, if WEP is being used.

3) change the channel on the access point. sounds stupid but it works sometimes.

for a home network, these are usually the only setps involved, outside of the obvious (i.e. check to see that the access point is connected to the router/switch/hub and the connection is working, some access points require a cross over cable).

Another thing to remember is that the IP address of the access point IS NOT important. An access point is a layer 2 bridge, where IP is a layer 3 protocol.

rrfield

Mirlyn

hard reset it (back to factory defaults)....then see if the PCs will see it. If not, you've probably got problems with the PCs. If you do see it, start putting security back on one step at a time, checking each time to make sure it still works.

A majority of the problems I run into are channel-based....either interference or unspecified clients. Just start with the obvious networking stuff....is there a connection/link, then check ip settings, then routing...let us know, I'm sure we can help you out more. :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
rrfield said:
What's the exact setup? Is this a broadband connection? Is the access point a standalone access point, or a wireless router setup?
It's connecting a laptop that has built-in wireless capability to a computer to be able to transfer files without messing around with wires and crap

a few basic things....

1) make sure the access point SSID and the PC's SSID are the same
How?
2) make sure the WEP keys are the same, if WEP is being used.
It's not being used, I don't think
3) change the channel on the access point. sounds stupid but it works sometimes.
How?

I'm a complete tard when it comes to wireless networking. :tardbang:

rrfield

fury said:
It's connecting a laptop that has built-in wireless capability to a computer to be able to transfer files without messing around with wires and crap

How?It's not being used, I don't thinkHow?

I'm a complete tard when it comes to wireless networking. :tardbang:

On the laptop, look for a program called Client Manager, or something similar. Do you know the brand of the onboard wireless NIC? Orinoco (a popular onboard wireless NIC, sometimes labeled Lucent or Avaya) has a pretty good Client Manager program. This is where you specify your SSID and WEP key for the PC.

The access point (wireless router, etc) is usually accessable throug a web interface. If the guy has documentation, look for the IP address in a quick start guide or something. I know the D-Link access points ive ised are 192.168.0.50 be default. I think my Linksys was 192.168.1.50, but I don't remember. It's also possible that the access point is getting a DHCP address if it is hooked up to a network with a DHCP server (home routers often have DHCP servers built in. Some Access Points also have DHCP servers built in).

Anyway, the web page is where you change the SSID, WEP and channel on the access point.

If you know the brand of the onboard wireless NIC and the brand of the Access Point (or wireless router), I'm sure myself or someone else could be of greater assistance.

rrfield

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i don't know anything about running one, just breaking into em :evilcool:

FYI: not that it matters to fury but linksys APs default to 192.168.1.1 with no username and password "admin"

rrfield

tommyj27 said:
i don't know anything about running one, just breaking into em :evilcool:

FYI: not that it matters to fury but linksys APs default to 192.168.1.1 with no username and password "admin"

Something that might matter is that an MS Base Statuion might be 192.168.2.1, netmask 255.255.255.0, with a password of admin.

my linksys access point came as 192.168.1.251 (it's not an Access Point / Router, its an Access Point only, my linksys router was 192.168.1.1).

If you really want performance, go with a Cisco (but it will cost you).

rrfield

Mirlyn

tommyj27 said:
i don't know anything about running one, just breaking into em
:rofl: all I have to say is :grinyes:
rrfield said:
Something that might matter is that an MS Base Statuion might be 192.168.2.1, netmask 255.255.255.0, with a password of admin.

my linksys access point came as 192.168.1.251 (it's not an Access Point / Router, its an Access Point only, my linksys router was 192.168.1.1).

If you really want performance, go with a Cisco (but it will cost you).

All the Linksys APs and routers (both) I have ever seen have come 192.168.1.1. I can't remember off hand, but as I remember the MS APs are 192.168.2.1.

As a side note, Cisco owns Linksys, and both the Cisco and Linksys logo are on the new boxes and even the units themselves. :)

I'd do a hard reset on the AP. This resets it to default configuration. If this doesn't work, the AP is probably bad.

See if the card is installed properly on the client. Take the card out and see what the brand is (look up the MAC address or the FCC ID, or just post it here) and make sure the right drivers are installed. What OS is the client using? Do you see the card in the network settings area? Does the card see the network at all? If its XP, Windows can auto-control it and will display a "One or more wireless networks available" message in the system tray.

I've had several customers bring back an entire MS setup because they couldn't get it to work. A hint, if its entirely MS hardware, do not use the MS client software. If the client computer has XP, it'll do everything it needs to without you needing to fool with the software (which can and will screw with your network settings and AP settings, thus making this a harder job than it should) Big surprise for MS, right? ;)

rrfield

Mirlyn said:
:rofl: all I have to say is :grinyes:

All the Linksys APs and routers (both) I have ever seen have come 192.168.1.1. I can't remember off hand, but as I remember the MS APs are 192.168.2.1.

As a side note, Cisco owns Linksys, and both the Cisco and Linksys logo are on the new boxes and even the units themselves. :)

I'd do a hard reset on the AP. This resets it to default configuration. If this doesn't work, the AP is probably bad.

See if the card is installed properly on the client. Take the card out and see what the brand is (look up the MAC address or the FCC ID, or just post it here) and make sure the right drivers are installed. What OS is the client using? Do you see the card in the network settings area? Does the card see the network at all? If its XP, Windows can auto-control it and will display a "One or more wireless networks available" message in the system tray.

I've had several customers bring back an entire MS setup because they couldn't get it to work. A hint, if its entirely MS hardware, do not use the MS client software. If the client computer has XP, it'll do everything it needs to without you needing to fool with the software (which can and will screw with your network settings and AP settings, thus making this a harder job than it should) Big surprise for MS, right? ;)

Well, he said the wireless NIC is onboard, so taking it out of the slot wont do any good :)

Personally, I'm not too impressed with the "zero configuration" wireless setup that XP has, I perfer to use the client software. Then again, I've never used an MS brand wireless NIC (try to stick with orinoco or cisco).

Yeah, Cisco bought Linksys, but I highly doubt the linksys stuff will bet much better, they bought it as an entry into the home market. The Cisco WAPs out preform any SOHO WAP by a long shot, in both use and managability. But, again, it will cost you.

Quick "how bout that": you can flash linksys WAP11's and D-Link 900+ APs with eachothers firmware....inside, they are identical Texas Instruments chip based devices.

and not that it really matters becuase i changed the IP, my Linksys WAP11 did come as 192.168.1.251 /24, while my router was 192.168.1.1 /24...why would they send two devices that they market to work together with the same IP address? ;)

rrfield

Mirlyn

rrfield said:
Well, he said the wireless NIC is onboard, so taking it out of the slot wont do any good :)
Doh, I'm retarded, sorry. :retard: Is it a new laptop (<6 months)?

Personally, I'm not too impressed with the "zero configuration" wireless setup that XP has, I perfer to use the client software. Then again, I've never used an MS brand wireless NIC (try to stick with orinoco or cisco).
Thats why I only use orinoco as well. Powerful, easy to use, and the client software actually works! :eek: MS doesn't really have a client software. To me, it looks like a front-end was written to XP's wireless support....and poorly at that.
Yeah, Cisco bought Linksys, but I highly doubt the linksys stuff will bet much better, they bought it as an entry into the home market. The Cisco WAPs out preform any SOHO WAP by a long shot, in both use and managability. But, again, it will cost you.
They've gotten a little better. I saw some of the early models slow down because the DHCP server was hanging with 60+ very dynamic clients. Replaced it last weekend with a new one and haven't had the problems. But you can't expect much for a $100 AP. ;)
and not that it really matters becuase i changed the IP, my Linksys WAP11 did come as 192.168.1.251 /24, while my router was 192.168.1.1 /24...why would they send two devices that they market to work together with the same IP address? ;)
Doesn't make any sense at all, I know. Try explaining that to a customer who's pissed off because they claim their newly purchased AP doesn't work with their existing router. ;) "It's because your IPs are the same." "My WHAT?"

Same goes when they (for some reason) buy two routers, and the DHCP servers fight...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, pretty new laptop and desktop (well, it doesn't sit on the desk cause the case is huge :tardbang: )

Mirlyn

fury said:
Yes, pretty new laptop and desktop (well, it doesn't sit on the desk cause the case is huge :tardbang: )

What brand is the laptop? Is it a Centrino, by chance? Do a "ipconfig /all" on the command prompt and do a search for the first 4-6 characters of the mac address given to find out if it is the intel/centrino wireless.

Make sure its installed in Device Manager. See if a wireless connection is listed in the Network Connections window.

There isn't much for client managers for Centrno systems, but XP itself should work fine.

How about the desktop? What brand is the card in it?