Where do you live, and is it nice?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Before anyone says "doesn't this belong in the Kiddy Corner?" let me explain, a friend of mine has a chance to move ANYWHERE in the continental USA.

And they have no idea where they want to go, so tell me where your from, and what is nice about it, how are the job markets, crime rates, pollution, how do the schools rate. what is special about it.

City would be preferable, but country is good to, anyone can answer, even from abroad, english Canada, and the US are in the real running though.

I'll start:

Montreal: a little piece of europe in North America.

Fine dining, and good prices, very old city with large tourist area's.

Main job sectors, Pharma, Movie, and Multi media, biotech

Excellent public transportation, 2 English Universities.

Downsides, you need to be able to speak french, health care issues.

It's a great city, good night life, lots of things to do if you have kids, it's fairly cleanish, lol tons of stuff to see and do, low crime rate.

Please respond, the person has to move by the January

Rose

Tulsa is a nice lil' area. Offers what a "big city" would (zoo, museums, aquariums, amusement park, water park, shopping, restaurants, bars, movies, lots of parks, etc), but has kind of a 'small town' charm. Mmm, nice. Everything is about 20 minutes away from everything else, give or take a bit.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Hamilton, Ont

The transportation system is good. No subways like Toronto but the buses have been very reliable for me so far.

Main industry is steel, home to Dofaso and Stelco

I live in the lower part of Hamilton, "University Town" Section, it's the older part of town. Downtown is really nice, East end is sketchy but it's mad eup for up on the mountain. Up on the mountain (mountain = part of the niagara escarpment) is the more modern part of the city, newer subdevelopments, a couple killer malls, every restaurant you could think of. From where I live you can look up at the Niagara Escarpment, really beautiful.

Originally from Brampton: Suburbia...no night life unless you go to T.O., a family city mostly, a couple malls, nothing spectacular, public transit there pisses me off to no end, yeah...don't move to Brampton...

unclehobart

Atlanta: Capital city of Georgia and the defacto hub of the SE continental US.
Fine dining, busiest aiport in the world, low consumer prices, low taxes, housing is nearly the cheapest of the large American cities, lowest petrol prices in the US, utility prices are 25% below the national average, generally mild weather year round... snow is very rare, good club scene, many jobs, always growing. Tis a major hub for drawing concerts. The city is nestled in amongst the trees and has a fairly park-like feel.

Main job sectors: Housing, construction, services, telecommunications, education, technical, industrial

Public transport: weak spot. Almost useless... might as well be non-existant.

Downsides: traffic, long commutes, lackluster on landmarks and museums.

Rose

unclehobart said:
Fine dining, busiest aiport in the world, low consumer prices, low taxes, housing is nearly the cheapest of the large American cities, lowest petrol prices in the US, utility prices are 25% below the national average, generally mild weather year round... snow is very rare, good club scene, many jobs, always growing. Tis a major hub for drawing concerts. The city is nestled in amongst the trees and has a fairly park-like feel.

Main job sectors: Housing, construction, services, telecommunications, education, technical, industrial

Tulsa has the same problem with public transportation - very weak system.

But goodness, Atlanta sounds vunderbar! I'll pack this week. :D

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
unclehobart said:

Geez I think I'm gonna pack too, sounds great

unclehobart

There is also another drawback in that Atlanta is the most 'black' city. That in and of itself is no big deal... but considering the racial bigotry that seems to crop up from time to time across the nation, There is a feeling that nothing in the political arena can be done without pandering to one group or another or race baiting somehow. Atlanta has this reputation of being under the thumb of a black power maintaining 'machine', as it were. It doesn't phase me at all because I don't live in the city. I live out in the suburbs under the government of the outer city of Marietta. I only make it downtown once in a while to go through to the airport or catch the concerts. Other than that, I don't need to go. After all, I can get food and clothing and entertainment all out here in my local region.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
[justgotta, apologizing in advance]you're friends with an american?! :eek:[/just gotta, apologizing in advance]

unclehobart

more drawbacks: GA ranks low, low in SAT averages .. but you just have to know where to live to get into the good schools for the kids.

Also, we have a blue law. No alcohol sales on Sundays... but you can still drink in restaurants. Beer is limited to 5% alcohol.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Leslie said:
[justgotta, apologizing in advance]you're friends with an american?! :eek:[/just gotta, apologizing in advance]

it happens, I thought they where Canadiaqn, or even French, but, by the time I found out it was too late

*hangs his head in shame*

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I guess they didn't know about the 250lb of bacon out back in the icehouse, eh?

tonksy

paul_valaru said:
the goverment read this, I was asked to turn in my maple syrop
we have maple syrup in the states, paul...just not as excited about it as you guys... :winkkiss:

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Oh and I already told them not to move to Toronto, cause well Montreal rocks, and Toronto sucks.

people those are NOT bagels, they are rolls with a hole in them.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
tarmap.gif