While trying to ID a tree, Poison Sumac was suggested.

greenfreak

That would totally suck.

The second and third ID sites suggested Ash. But the bark doesn't look quite right. I've seen this tree bark before at the NY Botanical Gardens and was intrigued by it. But can't for the life of me remember what it is. I've posted pictures on three garden forums, hoping for a concensus.

I love the tree though. Once I clear away about 10 feet to the left of it and 3 feet to the right of it, it will be the focal point of this corner of my property. I will need to prune two branches that are actually resting on the wires running through it too. :eek:

I CAN'T WAIT TILL SPRING!!!!!!!! :swing: :swing: :swing:

tree_111707_20.jpg

tree_111707_21.jpg

A.B.Normal

While trying to ID a tree

Hey look its Ralph.

But seriously...it does look somewhat familiar to me too,but I was thinking ornamental Cherry tree of some sort, I'm sure if it had fruit though you'd have already known?

Inkara1

Oh... is that the road or water behind that tree? If it's water, that land must have set you back a pretty penny... but I'd certainly want to clear out some of that foliage to take advantage of the view.

greenfreak

Hah! I wish it was water. That's pavement. :laugh:

Actually, I don't wish it was water. It was extremely hard to find home insurance around here. All of the big companies are pulling out of coastal areas since Katrina. Travelers, Allstate, and Liberty Mutual had already stopped writing policies here or canceling home policies. Now I hear State Farm (my insurer) is starting to cancel the policies on houses very close to the sound/ocean. I'm a mile from the closest harbor, so I think I'm safe.

It didn't really set us back a pretty penny, as NY prices go, because last year/this year is proving to be the best time to buy. We opted for a smaller move-in ready house than was way under our budget.

greenfreak

Hey look its Ralph.

But seriously...it does look somewhat familiar to me too,but I was thinking ornamental Cherry tree of some sort, I'm sure if it had fruit though you'd have already known?

Btw, you were right. It's a Black Cherry tree. The flowers aren't the prettiest in spring, but it does bear fruit during the summer and there are two really beautiful butterflies that prefer to nest in it - who knows, they might already be in there. :D

We moved in in November, so we didn't get to see the fruit at all. But clearing the brush is a good idea apparently, because when the fruit falls, it stains blood red. Oops. :D

Inkara1

Oh yes, it definitely stains red... also, get ready for red stains everywhere else if the birds know of its existence. I used to live in a house where the next-door neighbor had a cherry tree in the back yard, and she had to get up pretty early in the morning to pick cherries off of it because if she didn't, the birds would ruin them all.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Btw, you were right. It's a Black Cherry tree. The flowers aren't the prettiest in spring, but it does bear fruit during the summer and there are two really beautiful butterflies that prefer to nest in it - who knows, they might already be in there. :D

We moved in in November, so we didn't get to see the fruit at all. But clearing the brush is a good idea apparently, because when the fruit falls, it stains blood red. Oops. :D

Dayum. Beat me to it. I saw the leaves, and knew it was a cherry tree. Not the exact species, but one that has edible fruit...

When you have fallen branches, they can be used in a grill or smoker. ;)

greenfreak

I have a Holly tree in the back too that thankfully doesn't have any fruit. At first, I was thinking of getting a couple of other holly bushes so it could be cross pollinated but then I remembered that it hangs over my deck. Until we rip it up and replace it with a patio, I don't think I want red berries on it!