who did this?

tonksy

see i always thought low rider was war....but i recent saw that santana did it...who did the original? war, right?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It's been covered several times. Same with Cisco Kid & that silly wine & friends song (I forgot the title)

tonksy

Gonz said:
It's been covered several times. Same with Cisco Kid & that silly wine & friends song (I forgot the title)
wine and friends? all i can come up with is joy to the world? jerimiah was a bullfrog......

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
The original is by War.
The first re-make was by Barry White.
Then Santana.

Now, with the George Lopez show, the original is becoming popular again. :shrug: The more things change, the more they stay the same... ;)

tonksy

i've always been partial to the song but let's not forget that it was recently on the soundtrack for gone in 60 seconds.....also korn's version is cool.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:confuse3: Spill The Wine was definately Eric burdon & War

I still think there was a motwn group that released War in the 60s

FluerVanderloo

tonks said:
i've always been partial to the song but let's not forget that it was recently on the soundtrack for gone in 60 seconds.....also korn's version is cool.

Hey now! Don't forget the soundtrack to A Knight's Tale! The version by War is on that. Along with other kickass bands like Queen, Sly and the Family Stone, Heart, etc.

tonksy

low rider is on a knights tale? what are they talking about? a horse with short legs?...i must have been too busy staring at heath.....

chcr

Too cute for words
War uwsed to be one of my favorite bands. They started out backing up Eric Burdon (from the Animals, Spill the Wine is from Eric Burdon Declares War) but later went out on there own. Musically interesting and hard to classify, both things I like in a band. I didn't notice Low Rider on A Knights Tale either, although I did notice it in Up In Smoke. :D I Googled it though, and there it was.

Inkara1

Korn re-did Low Rider? Oh, the humanity! Korn does some good work, but I can't see how their style could possibly improve on that classic. I hope it's not as bad as Limp Bizkit's version of "Behind Blue Eyes."

Rose

Inkara1 said:
Korn re-did Low Rider? Oh, the humanity! Korn does some good work, but I can't see how their style could possibly improve on that classic. I hope it's not as bad as Limp Bizkit's version of "Behind Blue Eyes."

:| I rather like Limp Bizkit's version of "Behind Blue Eyes" and think they did a great job for a cover.

Ms Ann Thrope

Squiggy said:
:confuse3: Spill The Wine was definately Eric burdon & War

I still think there was a motwn group that released War in the 60s

Froggy gets the prize! almost..... 1970, dollface..... but it was deffo a Motown product.

Like Nat King Cole, Gordy believed that "cause" music did not sell records and avoided it at all costs. But there are also exceptions such as Stevie Wonder's rendition of Bob Dylan's Blowin' in the Wind of 1966, Aretha Franklin's Respect of 1967, I Care about Detroit by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles from 1968 and Motown's hiring of Junius Griffin and and Ewart Abner in order to promote black causes. Motown vigilance is reflected in the fact that the company did not dare to let The Temptations sing the Whitfield song War, but gave it to the relatively unknown Edwin Starr. The song reached number one on the American pop charts in the summer of 1970.

[Norman] Whitfield had co-written a strident anti-war protest song, "War," for the Temps' Psychedelic Shack LP, and in spite of growing demand for a single release, Motown didn't want the group to take such an aggressive stance. Whitfield recut "War" with Starr, and the resulting version was arguably the most incendiary song Motown ever released. It zoomed to the top of the pop charts in 1970, and its chorus -- powered by Starr's guttural delivery -- remains a catch phrase even today.

FluerVanderloo

tonks said:
low rider is on a knights tale? what are they talking about? a horse with short legs?...i must have been too busy staring at heath.....

Of course, I've memorized that movie. And I can't blame you for staring at Heath the whole way through. As an obsessive compulsive teenager, I've damn near memorized every movie up to Monster's Ball that he is in. As of late I haven't been following him as good though. More into Billy Boyd really.