Who reads books.....

tonksy

...beyond science fiction and fantasy?

I joined the women's club book club. I've been a member for 4 months. I must say that it's been rather illuminating for me as it pushed me outside my literary comfort zone of science fiction, fantasy, and assorted classics and crime dramas. I've read some books that i never would have picked and have enjoyed them.

Anyone else in such a group? Anyone read anything good recently?

MrBishop

John Irving - pretty much any book by his is bound to be excellent. I highly recommend "A prayer for Owen Meany" or "The 158-pond marriage"

I'm also partial to reading the odd Steven King book, but I prefer CLive Barker's works over King.

tonksy

I love John Irving. In fact, today at the meeting we discussed the book recommendations for next year and I had put forth Cider House Rules and Owen Meany. We ended up deciding on Cider House Rules as some had seen that abomination of a movie and I told them how half the damn book was left out.
Here are the tentative 10 for next year (year starts in september):

The Cider House Rules - John Irving
Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton
Caravans - James Mitchner
The Road - Cormack McCarthy
The Lady and the Unicorn - Tracy Chevalier
Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut (another of my suggestions)
The Virgin's Lover - Phillipa Gregory (I am sooo looking forward to this as we just read the preceding book by this author)
The Painted Veil - Somerset Maughm
Leaving Atlanta - Tayari Jones (About the ATL child murders back in the 80's)
The Great Gatsby - John Fitzgerald (Me again)

spike

My GF has been raving and trying to get me to read "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell. So I just started it a few days ago. Here's part of a review...

David Mitchell's third novel is so tricked out, in fact, that advance proofs came with a disclaimer from the publishing director of Random House, who confesses that he thought pages had gone missing from his manuscript when it vaulted mid-sentence—mid-word, actually—from the South Seas diary of a 19th-century notary to the epistolary plaints of a penniless composer in 1931 Belgium. The epic unfurls as no less than a journal within a series of letters within a mystery novel within a movie (or, perhaps, a lovingly detailed description of said movie) within a convict's last interview within an old man's reminiscence. Each new narrative irruption opens a fissure in the preceding groundwork (usually leaving behind a cliff with a protagonist dangling off it) until Mitchell hits his novel's deep-earth kernel—a futurist folktale of sorts, spun 'round the campfire in a Twainian vernacular—and then tunnels back out again.

As did the pan-global daisy chain of Mitchell's 1999 debut, Ghostwritten, the new book barrels along on the author's virtuoso powers of ventriloquism. Cloud Atlas is a polyphonic spree whose voices (echoing forebears as diverse as Sterne, Typee-era Melville, Huxley, Waugh, Bradbury, and Amis fils) bounce off the sloping walls of the novel's Chinese-box architecture (evoking at turns Italo Calvino, Flann O'Brien, and Jonathan Safran Foer). The big theme is Only Connect, but Mitchell also lingers time and again on repressive imbalances of power: Victorian-era colonizers exploit and exterminate natives of South Pacific islands; a young tabloid reporter named Luisa Rey (her name nodding to a multi-strand ancestor of Cloud Atlas, Thornton Wilder's The Bridge of San Luis Rey) gets in the crosshairs of a rapacious nuclear energy company in 1970s California; a genetically engineered serf in a future "corpocracy" slowly gains awareness of her sorry, shocking plight.

The latter's long night's journey into day affords Mitchell the opportunity to riff on a Brave New World updated for globalization and its discontents

http://dir.salon.com/story/books/review/2004/09/02/mitchell/index.html

She's also got some William Gibson books lined up for me after that. Hard to keep up with her.

TexasRaceLady

tonks, when you get time---a LOT of time --- read
"...And the Ladies of the Club" by Helen Hooven Santmyer

It follows the women of a Literary Club from formation in the late 1860s through the death of the last charter member in the 1930s. It is a fascinating book about the women, their families, and their trials and tribulations.

You will probably have a difficult time finding it, but if you do, it is worth the time spent on its 1300+ pages.

tonksy

Spike - lemmee know how you like it.

TRL - I just found it for a penny plus $4 shipping on ebay. I'll throw it on the pile.

tonksy

And the ladies of the club? Cool!
I just joined Paperbackswab.com! Anyone have any experience with this? I hadn't been able to read for awhile on account of small children are attracted by the sound of an opening book but now I have been attacking voraciously.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Yep, that's the one. Long, but really very good.

Two mystery writers I seriously enjoy are Janet Evanovich and Sue Grafton. There are a couple others, but the bookshelf is far too far away from my chair. :lloyd:

They've both written totally lighthearted and FUN series about female private investigators solving crimes. They are a RIOT. Janet's series titles go like "One For the Money" "Two For the Show" and on (I think she's up to 13ish now). Sue Grafton goes all the way up the alphabet like "S is for Silence". They're light enough and comfy enough that you will be able to get sunk right in when you get time, but also be able (if you can put it down) to put it down for a couple days then pick it up and get sunk right back in without having to reread.

For personal indulgent reading, I HIGHLY recommend both series.

On book clubs - no, I've never joined one, and don't think I ever would. It's just not me. I can't read on command, and I can't stand picking apart books looking for hidden meaning that usually isn't there/wasn't intended by the author anyway. I obviously HATED english class. :)

I did try and expand my reading a bit and tried to read some of Paul's books, but my head started to explode each time so I've stopped doing that.

tonksy

So...another question. Has anyone ever used paperbackswap.com? I just joined the other day. I listed a bunch of old cast off books and have some books on the way. It sounds like a cool program.

POStech

I bought a book a few weeks ago for the first time in years. I use to read alot back in the day when I took public transit.

majestyx

I've read a couple of Janet Evanovich's books, usually in a day or two. My main authors to read are John Grisham, J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts), Patricia Cornwell and Iris Johansen. I try not to read frequently as when I read, I have a hard time putting the book down once I start.

2minkey

bootlicker
i read on the plane - travel a lot... i don't read fiction, as my amazon wish list makes pretty obvious...

Land of Desire: Merchants, Power, and the Rise of a New American Culture by William R. Leach (Author)
Does Technology Drive History? The Dilemma of Technological Determinism by Merritt Roe Smith (Editor), Leo Marx (Editor)
An Engine, Not a Camera: How Financial Models Shape Markets (Inside Technology) by Donald MacKenzie (Author)
When in the Course of Human Events: Arguing the Case for Southern Secession by Charles Adams (Author)
The Transplanted: A History of Immigrants in Urban America (Interdisciplinary Studies in History) by John Bodnar (Author)
The Order Has Been Carried Out: History, Memory, and Meaning of a Nazi Massacre in Rome (Palgrave Studies in Oral History) by Alessandro Portelli (Author)
The Gospel of Germs: Men, Women, and the Microbe in American Life by Nancy Tomes (Author)
The Furniture of Carlo Mollino by Fulvio Ferrari (Author), Napoleone Ferrari (Author)
My Life And Work (Henry Ford) by Henry Ford (Author), Samuel Crowther (Author)
Leonardo to the Internet: Technology and Culture from the Renaissance to the Present (Johns Hopkins Studies in the History of Technology) by Thomas J. Misa (Author)
My Futurist Years by Roman Jakobson (Author), et al.

tonksy

OOH! You should read Phillipa Gregory! Her titles sound like cheap romances but they are actually very well written historical fictions. I can not remember all the titles but I know I have read The Queen's Fool and enjoyed it. I have The Other Boleyn Girl sitting on my pile and next year we get to read The Virgin's Lover.