Who will win the world series?

markjs

Banned
I am gonna be lazy and pick the Yankees since that's always about a 50/50 shot. But I sure hope my Mariners can edge out Boston in the Wildcard....They are cursed anyway They all know it deep in their hearts.....Bambino....1918....*insert twilight zone music* And besides I think the A's will be easier to beat in a playoff situation.....No matter what I can safely say I am sure the BoSox can't win it all.

Professur

markjs said:
Who will win the world series?

Who ................ cares?

It'll be a bunch of overpaid adolecents who can barely spell their own name. Fucking primadonas.

"Oooo. Coach!! I can't play today. I've broken a nail."

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Just a question, why is it named "world series", it has nothing to do with the world :confuse3:

Dave

i'm not sure what Seattle's schedule is like, but after this series with the ChiSox, Boston is only playing teams with losing records. the Yankees are having the same problems with the bullpen that the Red Sox are having.
i'm thinking that the Mariners will come up just short, the BoSox will get booted in the first round and after that, i lose interest....

why is it named "world series", it has nothing to do with the world :confuse3:

not a clue. if it truely were a "world series", we'd get embarassed regularly by latin and japanese teams....

AlphaTroll

Just another question (I was also wondering about why something only involving US teams would be referred to as a World Series) - but what sport are we talking about anyway?

rrfield

AlphaTroll said:
Just another question (I was also wondering about why something only involving US teams would be referred to as a World Series) - but what sport are we talking about anyway?

There are two Canadian teams (for now). Baseball. Asking why it's called the World Series is like asking the square root of a million - no one will ever know.

Against all odds, the Red Sox and the Cubs will be in the World Series. Somehow, both teams will find a way to lose. Bud Selig will call it a tie.

rrfield

Sharky

atlanta-braves-sm.gif

AlphaTroll

rrfield said:
There are two Canadian teams (for now). Baseball. Asking why it's called the World Series is like asking the square root of a million - no one will ever know.

But Canada is the 51st state - so it does only involve US teams ;)

Ahem - the square root of 1 000 000 is 1000.......... I still don't see why your little event should be called the world series though :D

Dave

rrfield said:
Against all odds, the Red Sox and the Cubs will be in the World Series. Somehow, both teams will find a way to lose. Bud Selig will call it a tie.

:rofl:

rrfield

AlphaTroll said:
But Canada is the 51st state - so it does only involve US teams ;)

Ahem - the square root of 1 000 000 is 1000.......... I still don't see why your little event should be called the world series though :D

Ok, history lesson :)

In 1903 and before, there were 2 major baseball leagues, the American League and the National League. The competing leagues each had their own champions. In 1903, someone got the bright idea to have the champion of the American League (the Boston Pilgrams) play the champion of the National League (the Pittsburgh Pirates) in a best-of-9 format.

Boston won 5-games-to-3, after falling behind 3-games-to-1.

Since both teams had won their league championship series, what else to call this series? The American Series? Sorry, that would imply the American League, which Boston had already won. World Series! It has a nice ring to it. At the time there were no other true major baseball leagues. To this day I think the only other major baseball league is in Japan. So, the winner of that series was truely the World Champion of professional baseball.

Today the term "World Series" holds true because Major League Baseball has players from the USA, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Korea, and probably 10 other Central and South American countries. Toronto has a team, Montreal currently has a team (though they played 22 "home" games in San Juan, Puerto Rico and may be moving to San Juan, Monterey (Mexico), or a number of other American cities). Regular season games have been played in Japan.

There we have it. Go Brewers.

rrfield