why do liquor shops have yellow lights??

Mirlyn

(at least here in the US they are) Why? Is there a particular reason/history behind it? :confuse3:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I'm not sure. But i've heard that amber beer bottles were to protect the beer from light. Perhaps other fermentations don't like white light either...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
The liquor store here has flourescents, I think it may be a Kansas thing. You are smack in the middle of bible country there.

unclehobart

Rooted about on the web for Kansas liquor store regulations and lighting codes ... nada ... nothing even close. It must just be a fluke. I do recall that certain shadings of yellow lights seriously cut down on the attraction of flying bugs.

alex

Damnit Unc, you beat me to it........yellow lights don't attract bugs.

*pokes Unc in the eye*

Mirlyn

Squiggy said:
I'm not sure. But i've heard that amber beer bottles were to protect the beer from light. Perhaps other fermentations don't like white light either...
I've herd the same thing. MUST be true then :p
PuterTutor said:
You are smack in the middle of bible country there.
Don't remind me. :rolleyes: I do find it funny that we have a few "drive through" liquor stores though. Ironic, almost.
unclehobart said:
Rooted about on the web for Kansas liquor store regulations and lighting codes ... nada ... nothing even close. It must just be a fluke. I do recall that certain shadings of yellow lights seriously cut down on the attraction of flying bugs.
Nah, because I've seen the same thing in Iowa, Colorado, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona....the list goes on

Must be the bug thing then, considering the shops are notorious for being open late (except sundays)

Inkara1

Fresno is one of the buggiest areas ever (you should see what the front of my car looks like after driving through the valley for the first hour or so after the sun sets), and yet all the liquor stores around here have regular white fluorescent lighting.

Professur

Beer exposed to light goes skunky. Sometimes as quickly as 45 minutes. Beer in clear bottles have to be kept covered until drunk, and then drunk as quickly as possible. Dark bottles and cans protect the beer better, although cans can impart a taste to the beer.

Wooden kegs are the best.