Why on Earth ...

Professur

I drive a lot. And my constant companion is the car stereo. I've noticed of strange thing, tho. American car stereos aren't any standard size or shape. If I go to an automotive stereo shop, all their radios are the same size and shape. In fact, the same size and shape of the old AM car radios. But for some bizarre reason, american car makers have decided to make the openning for the radio in their cars any and every shape except that one. To the point that installing an upgrade radio in a car involves (for all intents) ruining the entire look of the interior console.

Do you think that this might be some kinda conspiracy?

SexyBoo

It just might be Professur. WIth my old car I had a heck of a time finding a radio that would actually fit that odd-sized space where the old radio had been. Sheesh! :banghead:

CydCharisse

I drive a Ford Focus ZX3 and the dash area is very neatly designed, but would be a major pain in the ass if I got a new stereo. I don't mind it. It's a CD player. If I decide to upgrade, some good speakers is all I need.

Mirlyn

Professur said:
I drive a lot. And my constant companion is the car stereo. I've noticed of strange thing, tho. American car stereos aren't any standard size or shape. If I go to an automotive stereo shop, all their radios are the same size and shape. In fact, the same size and shape of the old AM car radios. But for some bizarre reason, american car makers have decided to make the openning for the radio in their cars any and every shape except that one. To the point that installing an upgrade radio in a car involves (for all intents) ruining the entire look of the interior console.

Do you think that this might be some kinda conspiracy?

Yeah, for you to buy the premium sound package.

The stang's hole is standard DIN size, thankfully.

catocom

I don't even try to find one that fits.
I just get the one I want, and break-out the cutting tools. :lloyd:
I put a nice rectangular Kenwood in my '87 chevy van. :band:

Mirlyn

One of my coworkers had her truck (Ranger) broken into last week. They tried to steal her factory radio. :confused: Broke it all to hell trying to get it out, and now she's trying to get insurance to pay for it. Thats a problem with factory radios.

pc_builder

The major car manufacturers undoubtedly don't follow any standard in stereo design. Most aftermarket makers seem to do though. Also, this way, the companies that make the dashboard adaptors get stinking rich.

I bought a cd stereo for my '75 Granada. The adaptor I got fit nicely, but only because the previous owner cut out part of the dash because the adaptor itself was too big.

Aunty Em

That doesn't seem to be a problem in the UK... all the cars I've had have had the same size and shape facia for the radio cassette/cd player.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
My suburban has one of those funky stereos. It's actually in two pieces. the controls and the tuner is up by the driver, the cassette deck and equalizer are in the middle of the dash, next to the glove box. I've thought about getting a new one, but I'd pretty well have to leave the cassette deck there doing nothing.

Thankfully, the Mitsu's I have all take standard stereos.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Most asian car makers use the same size stereo's I have a sunfire, with a tape deck, not a chance in hell of buying aftermarket.

rrfield

paul_valaru said:
Most asian car makers use the same size stereo's I have a sunfire, with a tape deck, not a chance in hell of buying aftermarket.

My girlfriend had a sunfire and she had an aftermarket CD player.

I have an aftermarket CD player in my Bonneville. The unit is too small for the opening, so it's supported with a towel. Works great :D (I have a mounting kit, the reason why I didn't properly mount the thing is a long story. Well, not so much long as boring, so I will spare everyone).

rrfield

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
rrfield said:
My girlfriend had a sunfire and she had an aftermarket CD player.

I have an aftermarket CD player in my Bonneville. The unit is too small for the opening, so it's supported with a towel. Works great :D (I have a mounting kit, the reason why I didn't properly mount the thing is a long story. Well, not so much long as boring, so I will spare everyone).

rrfield

Oh, I can wire it, but it will look terrible, I've never seen one that would fit in that square hole proberly.

and chances are next year is new car time, so, t o go off topic

Pontiac vibe, toyota matrix, or suzuki aerio

I'm leaning towards teh suzuki, it's huge inside, most horsepower,a dn amenities

just looks so silly though

rrfield

paul_valaru said:
Oh, I can wire it, but it will look terrible, I've never seen one that would fit in that square hole proberly.

and chances are next year is new car time, so, t o go off topic

Pontiac vibe, toyota matrix, or suzuki aerio

I'm leaning towards teh suzuki, it's huge inside, most horsepower,a dn amenities

just looks so silly though

Nothing looks as goofy as an Aztec. I think Honda makes it?

Mirlyn

rrfield said:
Nothing looks as goofy as an Aztec. I think Honda makes it?
Pontiac makes the Aztec, and its nowhere near as hideous looking as the Honda Element. :sick3:

Dave

i actually like the honda element. then again, i am in that demographic they weren't aiming for when they designed it....

the Aztec has to be the butt-ugliest vehicle ever made. my car is ugly, but the aztec makes it look like a porsche...

chcr

Too cute for words
the Aztec has to be the butt-ugliest vehicle ever made. my car is ugly, but the aztec makes it look like a porsche...

It's the modern day Edsel, for sure.