Windows Longhorn

IDLEchild

(Microsoft distributed a "pre-alpha" release of Longhorn at the Professional Developers Conference last fall. The first full-fledged beta isn't due out until sometime in 2005.)

The company also is expected to unveil the system and driver requirements for Longhorn during the conference.

Microsoft is expected to recommend that the "average" Longhorn PC feature a dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM; up to a terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those on the market today.

Thats average???

Source....(shut up, i know it is old.)

And what really matters....screenshots. (la pageo es en espanol)

I love this quote I found on another forum. Someone had this to say about windows.

It's bloated, it's fat, it's slow, it's unstable, it's incompetent, it's forcing the entire world to conform, it's annoying, it treats the user like an idiot, it's got so many security holes it's already been torn three new asses by half-assed virus strains, and the list goes on and on

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Ohh but it will allow you to do more, easier, happier and funnier :rolleyes:

IDLEchild

Luis G said:
Ohh but it will allow you to do more, easier, happier and funnier :rolleyes:

Microsoft better hope the PCs catch up to those minimum or "average" requirements by the time Longhorn rolls around.

Those are some ridiculious specs.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
you do realize its not due out for at least another year. And they already pushed it out further earlier this week.

Kawaii

It's no wonder that more than 2/3rds of the world's servers are already running some flavour of UNIX, including the fastest computer in the world, the Earth Simulator.
*hugs Linux very tightly*
I love you, Linux. Don't ever leave me.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I hear that Bill plans on a name change to suit the upcoming version of his software. The final release will be called LongWINded.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Bah. By the time that thing's out we'll all be running LN2-cooled quad core cpu's overclocked to 10ghz, four video cards, and 8-channel PC16800 RAM. (Or maybe our kids will be?)

pc_builder

Well, let's see. How far behind the times am I? My desktop runs 98SE and my lapop runs 2000 Pro.

"What's Windows XP?" :faptard:

pc_builder

I just looked at some of those screenshots. All I can say is it looks like XP with a different skin. I suppose the screnshot of the layered windows looking all 3d and coming out of the screen was cool. But what's the point of that?

Microsoft should concentrate less on the visual and more on the technical.

Maybe they should go back to an interface that looks like Windows 95 and work on the stability and security of the os. :D

I don't want flash wiz bang cool looking windows. I want security and stability. (I guess I want Linux) ;)