Windows XP

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I have recently received a copy of XP Pro w/service pack 1, and am attempting to install it on my computer. Problem is, it's for a 'new' computer only, and I have one ISA card. Do I have to remove the ISA card to get this puppy to work, or do I have to do a complete format of my drive? I actually like some of my software, and reloading it is a pain in the posterior...TIA

HomeLAN

A clean install is usually your best bet, but either way, I'd replace that ISA card with a PCI card. XP tends to hang software that accesses ISA stuff, even if installs OK. How expensive can that be?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
HomeLAN said:
A clean install is usually your best bet, but either way, I'd replace that ISA card with a PCI card. XP tends to hang software that accesses ISA stuff, even if installs OK. How expensive can that be?

They don't make a PCI version of that card. Oh, well...guess I have an excuse now to buy one of these...I hate backing up to HDD, and the ISA card is connected to an old Ditto Max Pro...so I can do backups while I sleep...:grinyes:

catocom

If you copy the cd to your hd, and change the code in the setupp.ini file,
you can upgrade with it. ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
Hey Gato, doesn't your old one use a 50 pin SCSI interface? If so, you can indeed upgrade to PCI (although it's not always easy). They may not make a specific card, but you can generally mke any similar card work. I might even have one laying around. I spend a lot of time making old stuff work with new stuff. :nerd:

Oh, I'd like to go down with Homey as being in favor of a clean install too. Much less stressful, IMO. ;)