Wireless

PostCode

Major contributor!
My wife an I plan on moving our computers to the bedroom, but before we do I've got to figure out how to get DSL back there. I don't want to run cable if I don't have to. I was thinking about going wireless instead. The DSL modem, firewall, and the kid's computer would be out in the front room, with one access point talking to the hub here. Now, we have a sliding glass door near the location where the hub will be located. Looking through the glass door, you can see the bedroom window, maybe 10 to 15 feet away. In the bedroom, I can setup another access point in the window and run wireless components from the two desktops and the two laptops.

I'm woondering if this will work though. Does anyone have any experience with making multiple access points work on the same network? Can this even be done? It sure would save me a ton of labor trying to run wire under the house and putting jacks in the walls.

chcr

Too cute for words
We have an 802.11b network in our house (2850 sq. ft., single level ranch. Its' a long sucker). Our cable modem is in my wife's office (one end of the house), and I have a router and hub (wired) in there, with a wire running to my office (40 ft.?). When she got her laptop with 802.11b already included, we got an access point and put it in my office (close to the middle of the house). We get pretty good connectivity even through walls. 100% in the kitchen or her office (40 ft. in opposite directions) or ont the front porch (15 ft. tops, but through an exterior wall). 75% to the patio (40 ft.?) but nothing to the pool house (100 ft.). When I originally set up the access point in my wife's office, you couldn't get access on the patio, in the kitchen or on the front porch. Centrally locating it solved all of those problems.

I guess what I'm trying to ask, is are you sure you'll need multiple access points? I don't think you will.

As far as setting them up, it should be no problem. If the transmitted signals overlap, that should strenthen your reception.

drkavnger99

I got myself finally hooked up with wireless in my home and it's awesome.... I can go down the street and use it still...

Mirlyn

Aunty Em said:
... sounds like you're a war drivers dream.... I hope your security's good... :evilgrin:
:hmm:
:disgust:

You'll more than likely be fine. As chcr said, centrally locating is your friend. :wink2:

rrfield

In most homes, one access point will do fine. If you have a home with a couple of floors, I'd get an access point with dual antenna's...place one perpendicular to the floor and the other at a 45 degree angle and bingo, you should get pertty good coverage. A central location is also a good idea...

At work here, I setup a wireless network with 9 access points, so yes you can have more then 1 in a network...but I don't see the need in the average home.

rrfield

drkavnger99

Aunty Em said:
... sounds like you're a war drivers dream.... I hope your security's good... :evilgrin:

LOL you mean a wardriver like me :lol2: :D My security is fine or at least as well as it can be considering WEP really sux!

rrfield

Wireless security does suck, or WEP does anyway.

Besides WEP, most access points let you disable the SSID broadcast, meaning you have to know the SSID before you can connect to an access point. That's something I do on every access point I setup, either at work or at home.

Another setup is to setup either a VPN for authentication or use 802.1x authentication, but that's definatly overkill for the home. If you disable the SSID broadcast and use the strongest WEP your card and access point support, you should be OK at home.

rrfield