wisdom of children

tonksy

this bitterly funny conversation happened at my house last night...

my 2 year old "mommy, i want that cereal", pointing to a stack of boxes on the counter. we get WIC and never eat all the cereal.
i say "no baby, that is the cereal we are giving to the poor people".
to which she cocks her head to the side and gives me a tolerant look and says, "we are the poor people."....stunned i can only think to say, "i mean the other poor people...". which is met by a chipper "oh, okay!"..........
isn't that almost heartbreaking?

unclehobart

Are you in fact 'poor people' or was she just trying to be sly in getting the food.

Tis mighty precious though. :) You can just see the devious gears turning behind the eyes of 2 year olds to get their way.

tonksy

unclehobart said:
Are you in fact 'poor people' or was she just trying to be sly in getting the food.

Tis mighty precious though. :) You can just see the devious gears turning behind the eyes of 2 year olds to get their way.
we are poor people, but it was so sweet because after she said "oh, okay" she just went about eating the cereal i had given her. my kids are awesome.

tonksy

Buttcrackdivine said:
Why are you donating food when you your self are considered poor?
because when you have an abundance of free cereal you should do the charitable thing and share. we get 6 boxes a month from WIC and after awhile you tend to slack off on the cereal intake. if you have ever seen a WIC voucher you know that it is like a shopping list. you have to get what is on the voucher. i just pass on what we are not going to use. it's part of sharing...you give, you get...

MizzFizzTheBizz

tonks said:
this bitterly funny conversation happened at my house last night...

my 2 year old "mommy, i want that cereal", pointing to a stack of boxes on the counter. we get WIC and never eat all the cereal.
i say "no baby, that is the cereal we are giving to the poor people".
to which she cocks her head to the side and gives me a tolerant look and says, "we are the poor people."....stunned i can only think to say, "i mean the other poor people...". which is met by a chipper "oh, okay!"..........
isn't that almost heartbreaking?

Is WIC state benefits?

tonksy

MizzFizzTheBizz said:
Is WIC state benefits?
WIC is women, infants, and children. it's to ensure a healthy diet for poor folk or something. we get milk, eggs, cheese, juice, cereal, dried beans and when you're baby is under a year you get formula or if you breastfeed you get carrots and tuna fish. they give me so much of the stuff that i feel like i waste it. thats why i give it back, so to speak. hell, the cats just finished all the tuna fish, i can't really stand it after a while.

MizzFizzTheBizz

tonks said:
WIC is women, infants, and children. it's to ensure a healthy diet for poor folk or something. we get milk, eggs, cheese, juice, cereal, dried beans and when you're baby is under a year you get formula or if you breastfeed you get carrots and tuna fish. they give me so much of the stuff that i feel like i waste it. thats why i give it back, so to speak. hell, the cats just finished all the tuna fish, i can't really stand it after a while.

It is a good idea i guess. My son is nearly 11 and b4 i started back to work i lived on Income Support which is paid by the government. is that the same sort of thing, except they just give the money and let you to get on with it. i always managed but i knew lots of people who could not.

Anyway you don't sound like you are poor where values and standards are concerned : :)

tonksy

ah, i'm one of those people who won't get off their butts and work, i suppose. i just want to raise my kids myself, not pay someone else to do it. and since i am married and he wants me too as well - i stay home. i know that it's important and all that, but sometimes i think they are being short changed. they have less. but what really do they need, huh? *sigh* it guess you have to pick one for the other these days.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Sadly enough, you do Tonks. But if it's any consolation, I think you're making the right choice, your kids will thank you for it too someday.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
tonks the real mother said:
i think they are being short changed. they have less

BITE YOUR TONGUE WOMAN.

What more do children need than clothing, food, liquids & a parents who cares enough to prefer them over new mini-vans & bigger, better, gaudier houses? Nothing. You are doing the right thing & they will hate you for it. One day, they will be eternally grateful & on your death bed, would you prefer to have spent more time with your children or more time at the office?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Its a sad statement about us when the socio-economics of our society have us feeling guilty about being a full time parent... :disgust2:

MizzFizzTheBizz

Squiggy said:
Its a sad statement about us when the socio-economics of our society have us feeling guilty about being a full time parent... :disgust2:

it came to point where i wanted to work as ,being on my own,financially it was better. more activities for my son etc.

i am very fortunate that i have a part time job that fits in with school hours, except for school holidays, then i take annual leave for some of it and the rest of the time my son goes to a kids club where they go out for day etc. i have a good boss too so if my son is ill i can have time off for it.

i am ready to work full time but know i have to wait until my son is more independant and can be trusted with a key *dread*!

i don't think anyone has the right to criticise parents who want to stay at home and raise their children. i stayed at home until last year and i am glad i did but i am equally glad that i have started preparing for life after the children have left home. Legally that's 5 years for me.