With the good must come the bad

Rose

I think GM's are known for their head problems. My sister and I both have had troubles with pontiac's (grand am's, different years). I'd highly recommend a Nissan if you are still shopping. The top-end Sentra (their 'cheapest' car) is very nice and their mid range Altima is nice, too. I drive a 2001 Sentra GXE (middle class Sentra) and I've loved it since day 1.

You know what they say about Nissans - they aren't much good after about 300,000 miles. ;) :D

Anyhow, congrats and :hug:s on the promotion! :D Best wishes on everything!

tonksy

i own half a sentra...great little car...my husband abuses cars...never takes care of them...rode hard and put up wet comes to mind. we have never had troubles up until this summer...now it's just one after the other, but that little baby is a trooper.

greenfreak

Ms, thanks for the link, I completely agree with all of it. And that Gary Busey is REALLY ugly. :D

Tonks, I have a friend at work who has the same car. He had engine problems with it already and has had it in the shop three times, he only got it last year. Oh and I heard something else about common Nissan problems, but I forgot what it was. But I agree, they seem to last and last and last. My Dad still speaks fondly of his Datsun 210 which was a rustbucket but he put over 200,000 miles on. :D

fi!!!!! Hi!!! Wow, haven't seen you in some time! Nice to see you visit. It worked out ok because I got the transmission replaced and a new Torque Converter (whatever the hell that is), the gas mileage is back where it used to be, and with the money I won in a football pool and my Christmas bonus, I'm going to break even. Sure, the bonus would have been nice to spend on Xmas presents, but I didn't know I was getting a bonus till two days ago anyway. :shrug:

So... it all works out in the end!! :D

Inkara1

The torque converter is to the automatic as the clutch is to the manual. That's what allows the slippage necessary for the engine to be running while the car's not moving. A "lockup torque converter" locks up when the car's at speed, to prevent that slippage and therefore improve highway fuel economy.

In fact, I'm guessing your torque converter went wacky first and that resulted in the damage to the tranny, because it quit allowing that slippage while the tranny tried to switch gears to give the engine RPM a chance to come down to what's needed for the next gear.

greenfreak

Well hell, that would explain why my gas mileage has been out of whack. I noticed it, that I was filling up more frequently but I just attributed it to the higher gas prices and that I always put $20. in, never more never less.

On a different note, I was certainly enjoying the car today in the snow. I especially love coming around a bend a little faster than I should, letting the back end spin out a little and controlling it for easier turning. There was next to no one out on the road today so I was able to play without fear of hitting anything. :D

Dave

i wanted to go and have some fun on the road today too, but there were way too many slow, lumbering SUV's out there.

greenfreak

SUV drivers going slow in bad weather? Never seen that before. Usually ours are in the left lane, barrelling down like it was sunny and dry. They're really a danger to everyone else on the road.

Dave

i know. its the same here.
the odd thing was it was all the really hugh ones...the expiditions and yukons. all the cars were zipping along (relatively speaking)