*withdrawal symptoms*

nalani

welcome back, ku'u! *as if I never ever see you* hehehehe

Let's see .. what did you miss ..

umm... newbies have to bring beer .. that's a new rule ..
flurf is still humping ... but I've stopped flashing :D

nalani

Originally posted by Shadowfax
Heh! No beer for ku'u!

Give her orange juice instead or something :D

being the great friend that I am, I, of course, will partake of her portion on her behalf ... :headbang:

kuulani

*torn between sharing my portion of beer and hoarding it for when I can drink it*

Aaaaagh ... the decisions I have to make in the name of friendship!!

Hi Gato!! :headbang:

Okay Shadow, I can live with OJ for now, but in a few months, I'll be ready to add a little more kick to that drink ;)

ris

odd that prof, i got me two bottles of hardy's ale vintage 1998 that i've had for 4 years laid down in a cool place. ;)

decent beer [ales etc] do keep and can do well, the guinness brewery in dublin have beer going back 150 years i belive, and all of it still drinkable! :cool:

kuulani

Originally posted by Professur
Ku, you know that beer doesn't keep. That's why there's no such thing as vintage beer.

It wouldn't last in my house anyway ... my boyfriend drinks it as soon as I bring some home.

Professur

To keep beer you have to keep it in a cool dark place. Sunlight and heat are a beer's worst enemy. Even then, a beer more than several months old is a 50/50 chance of getting a mouthful of something awful.

ris

exactly right! mine are laid down [haven't even moved them in 3 years!] in a low cupboard. i said i would have one after 5 years and one after 10, but if after 5 it's rank i'll use the other as drain-o ;)

it lives with my malt whisky, also kept carefully laid down to keep the corks wet. love scotch, especially proper, single malt stuff. )

Professur

Now yer talking. Whiskey keeps well. But why would you abandon your beer for years? It doesn't improve with age, y'know.

Like I would know. Beer has a shelf life of about 3 mins around here.

ris

call it a beer experiment. a couple of the uk breweries make nice christmas ales and i often keep one over for a year to see what it does and remind me of the previous years offering. usually does bugger all :D

this time its a little long that's all. i bet i make a whole new form of drain cleaner! :)

whisky is indeed the stuff.....

ris

prof, do you get any live beers out your way? some of the ales made in this country are bottled with yeast still in them to allow fermentation and flavour development in the bottle. does 2 things mainly - firstly you can keep those and the flavour genuinely will develop and mature.
secondly, you can choose your method of drinking. a careful pour will give you a clear, crisp ales while a shaking of the sediment can add flavour and weight to the ale.

damn nice beer usually too! :)

Professur

We've a few live, but they're mostly the over strength beers, like La Maudite. I've never been a BIG fan of high alcohol beers. And leaving one for any length of time would probably turn it off. Besides, I like to drink from the bottle, and getting a mouthful of sand isn't my idea of a good time.

ris

we had a really good live beer that was around for years before becoming a stock bottled beer, spitfire, 4.2% and so delicious and light for an ale it made perfect summer drinking :)

Professur

I've a sweet little import brew you might know: old Peculier. I picked up a 6-pack when I was travelling. It's from Masham, England. It's a bit stronger than I like for a beer (5.6%), but it's a tasty little pint of heavy.

But it tastes like shit served cold. It has to be cool (shelf temp) to bring out the real flavour.

ris

theakstones op is one of the nicest beers on draft here. it is a little heavy for everyday drinking, and the av can come and bite you onthe arse after 3 or 4 but for hitting the spot in the autumn and winter it can't be beat.

most ales are crap out of the fridge, i usally hide mine under a table to keep it cool and maybe give it 3 mins in the fridge to take it just below room temp.

do you drink a lot of ale/bitter ?