WOOHOO

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I feel so much better about quitting smoking now :lol:

CHICAGO — Being overweight is nowhere near as big a killer as the government thought, ranking No. 7 instead of No. 2 among the nation's leading preventable causes of death, according to a startling new calculation from the CDC.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated today that packing on too many pounds accounts for 25,814 deaths a year in the United States. As recently as January, the CDC came up with an estimate 14 times higher: 365,000 deaths.

Houston Chronicle

Mare

Thats one of my biggest fears of quiting smoking - the weight gain...

Sure i may feel better, and NOT hacking up a lung every morning, and smell of cigg smoke, and so on - so on......but shoving food in my mouth to compensate for an urge of nicotine....Shewwwwwww........

tonksy

lollipops folks, lollipops!.....'course this is from someone who just smoked more dope to compensate for the cravings when she quit the cigs...but 3 years later i feel much better.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You don't have to increase you caloric intake to gain weight. That's the insidious part. I actually cut an immediate 900+ calories a day & still got fat. Nicotine burns something like 200 calories a day just be being there.

tonksy

Gonz said:
You don't have to increase you caloric intake to gain weight. That's the insidious part. I actually cut an immediate 900+ calories a day & still got fat. Nicotine burns something like 200 calories a day just be being there.
really? who knew? but aren't you starting to feel better gonz? doesn't cigarette smoke smell bad to you? aren't you glad to have all that cash freed up?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Feel better? I never felt bad. No they smell wonderful. Cash...what cash? I don't see it, it's found somewhere else to go & I'm not even sure where.

I quit for political reasons ( I wasn't paying Phillip Morris' fines for them) & never gained a single (obvious) advantage. :shrug:

tonksy

huh...i smoked on and off for 14 years and now that i've been quit for 3 years they smell like ass. old smoky ass. maybe you just need more time.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
Feel better? I never felt bad. No they smell wonderful. Cash...what cash? I don't see it, it's found somewhere else to go & I'm not even sure where.

I quit for political reasons ( I wasn't paying Phillip Morris' fines for them) & never gained a single (obvious) advantage. :shrug:
You'll probably live longer now. More time to piss and moan. :D I'm personally studying to become a curmudgeon.

kuulani

Gonz said:
Nicotine burns something like 200 calories a day just be being there.

There's something new I learned today.
Maybe I should start smoking ... sounds easier than exercising :lloyd:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:
You'll probably live longer now. More time to piss and moan. :D I'm personally studying to become a curmudgeon.

Why practice what you already know by heart? :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
chcr said:

I already planned on living forever. Now I'll just be more pissy than before :D

A.B.Normal

kuulani said:
Just befriend a smoker,secondhand smoke is cheaper and leaves you with fresher breath. :brush:

Uki Chick

kuulani said:

I've been losing weight from eating healthier and such and I still smoke, if it helps me get to my goal weight, the so be it.

Miss Chopper

Quiting Smoking was the best thing I ever did (going on a year now) only used gum and a fake cigarette... by the 1st month I knew I had it kicked.....but I gained 12lbs in six weeks...that scared the shit out of me, so with the help of Dr. Burnstein I walked off 20lbs in two months.

Dave

Nicotine initially causes a rapid release of adrenaline, the "fight-or-flight" hormone. If you've ever jumped in fright at a scary movie or rushed around the office trying to finish a project by your deadline, you may be familiar with adrenaline's effects:

• Rapid heartbeat
  • Increased blood pressure
  • Rapid, shallow breathing

Adrenaline also tells your body to dump some of its glucose stores into your blood. This makes sense if you remind yourself that the "fight-or-flight" response is meant to help you either defend yourself from a hungry predator or hightail it out of a dangerous situation -- running or brawling both require plenty of energy to fuel your muscles. (For more information, see How Exercise Works.)

Nicotine itself may also block the release of the hormone insulin. Insulin tells your cells to take up excess glucose from your blood. This means that nicotine makes people somewhat hyperglycemic, having more sugar than usual in their blood. Some people think that nicotine also curbs their appetite so that they eat less. This hyperglycemia could be one explanation why: Their bodies and brain may see the excess sugar and down-regulate the hormones and other signals that are perceived as hunger. Nicotine may also increase your basal metabolic rate slightly. This means that you burn more calories than you usually would when you are just sitting around. (For more information on metabolism, see How Calories Work.) However, losing weight by smoking doesn't give you any of the health benefits that you'd get if you were losing weight by exercising -- it actually does the opposite! Over the long haul, nicotine can increase the level of the "bad" cholesterol, LDL, that damages your arteries. This makes it more likely that you could have a heart attack or a stroke.

Dave

Miss Chopper said:
Quiting Smoking was the best thing I ever did (going on a year now) only used gum and a fake cigarette... by the 1st month I knew I had it kicked.....but I gained 12lbs in six weeks...that scared the shit out of me, so with the help of Dr. Burnstein I walked off 20lbs in two months.
only 12. i gained almost 30 in a month. course i was super skinny so the weight was good but still....

HomeLAN

I gained about 25 or 30. It's still a better deal than smoking.

The other nice thing is the financial effect. I figure I have better uses for that $2,500 a year.