World AIDS day

AlphaTroll

Do you guys do anything on this day? Special events, fundraisers etc?

We have a lot of special events, mostly involving conserts to raise money for those affected by HIV / AIDS.

This is one of our local radio stations that is hosting special broadcasts throughout the day. Most of the stations, as well as TV and other organisations get involved. The funds raised today will be handed over to the TAC (Treatment Action Campaign - an NGO that works towards getting government so far to supply free anti-retrovirals to HIV positive patients) and other deserving organisations.

Just thought I'd post a little something about it *social awareness troll is on patrol*

chcr

Too cute for words
Things go on around the country. Here, there'll be a few understated rallys and fund raisers and it'll get mentioned on the news. Not much else though, this is the "bible belt" and they all know that gawd hates him some homos.

Professur

Herpes has infected 100 times that many. Syphilis killed proportionately as many, driving them insane first.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
*decides to stay out of this one...until it gts moved to the RW*

MrBishop

Where I work, we have a fund-raising concert to raise funds for African kids born with AIDS.

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
Herpes has infected 100 times that many. Syphilis killed proportionately as many, driving them insane first.
Malaria kills as many or more. Hepatitus C is right up there too. :shrug: AIDS is simply the current cause celebre.

BlurOfSerenity

since when is awareness the same as celebration?

someone sent me to this site
http://www.lighttounite.org/
you "light a candle" and a dollar gets donated to aids research.

just because it's an std doesn't mean it's JUST an std. there are other ways to get it, and i dont mean iv drug use. maybe that's the majority, but just because someone has aids doesnt mean they participate in such activities. think about old blood transfusions, think of medical workers and police officers who put themselves at risk every day.
also, just because it's an std doesnt mean it should be taken less seriously. people dont usually ask to get aids, just like people with cancers don't usually ask to get them, but that doesnt stop it from happening.
aids research is very important. the way i see it, if we don't work to eradicate it, eventually we may all have it.
i mean, most sexually active adults have the genital warts virus. do they always know it? no. do a thousand women die each year of cervical cancer, which can be caused by hpv? yes.

i guess in short, dont say "well it's an std" and look the other way.
since when do problems go away if you ignore them?

Bobby Hogg

chcr said:
Malaria kills as many or more. Hepatitus C is right up there too. :shrug: AIDS is simply the current cause celebre.

Or the one which has awareness as its most effective treatment.

BlurOfSerenity

yeah, a lot of people dont know much about aids. just because we might doesnt mean everyone does. so, it may seem stupid to some but for others it's a great opportunity to become educated. and that's very important.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Here's what's important
r3788257887.jpg

The Obelisk of Buenos Aires is covered with a giant condom to commemorate World AIDS Day December 1, 2005. According to a report issued by ONUSIDA (UN AIDS), the number of people infected with the HIV virus in Latin America had risen over the last year from 1.6 to 1.8 million. REUTERS/Enrique Marcarian

Winky

Well see Alfie,
the numbers in Gonzo-matics' post tell the tale.

And the rate of infucktion in the U.S. is even smaller.

A mere teeny tiny fraction of the population
and AIDS is one of the easiest diseases’ to AVOID!

So yeah the Dark Continent has an outrageous rate of infucktion
and an obscene percentage of its poopulation has it
and so yous peeps can durn well wring yer hands over
it. We in the 'developed' werld unless yer a promiscuous
homosexual, intravenous drug user or a first responder
or mebbe sex a worker
don't really give a rats ass about it.

Ya see I’ve got aboot the same chance of catching AIDS as I do
getting struck by lightening, winning the lotto or being killed in
a streetcar mishap!

*apologies to Hexy heh heh NOT!*

chcr

Too cute for words
ash r said:
since when is awareness the same as celebration?

Umm... look up "cause celebre" in the dictionary please Ash. ;)

By now almost everyone in the west understands how to avoid AIDS. If they don't do it, I don't feel sorry for them. As for the third world, it's a cruel but self correcting problem.

The reason AIDS dominates the cultural landscape so is because celebrities have died from it, period. If only third world people were infected or dying (as is the case with malaria) most of us never would have heard of it.

MrBishop

Winky said:
Well see Alfie,
the numbers in Gonzo-matics' post tell the tale.

And the rate of infucktion in the U.S. is even smaller.

A mere teeny tiny fraction of the population
and AIDS is one of the easiest diseases’ to AVOID!
At the end of 2004, the CDC estimates that 415,193 people were living with AIDS in the USA.1

Of these,
  • 35% were white
  • 43% were black
  • 20% were Hispanic
  • 1% were of other race/ethnicity.
Of the adults and adolescents2 with AIDS, 77% were men. Of these men,
  • 58% were men who had sex with men (MSM)
  • 21% were injection drug users (IDU)
  • 11% were exposed through heterosexual contact
  • 8% were both MSM and IDU.
Of the 93,566 adult and adolescent women with AIDS,
  • 64% were exposed through heterosexual contact
  • 34% were exposed through injection drug use.
An estimated 3,927 children were living with AIDS at the end of 2004, of whom 97% probably acquired the infection from their mothers.

Professur

MrBishop said:
At the end of 2004, the CDC estimates that 415,193 people were living with AIDS in the USA.1

Of these,
  • 35% were white
  • 43% were black
  • 20% were Hispanic
  • 1% were of other race/ethnicity.
Of the adults and adolescents2 with AIDS, 77% were men. Of these men,
  • 58% were men who had sex with men (MSM)
  • 21% were injection drug users (IDU)
  • 11% were exposed through heterosexual contact
  • 8% were both MSM and IDU.
Of the 93,566 adult and adolescent women with AIDS,
  • 64% were exposed through heterosexual contact
  • 34% were exposed through injection drug use.
An estimated 3,927 children were living with AIDS at the end of 2004, of whom 97% probably acquired the infection from their mothers.

Your statistics fail to document one important detail. How many of those infected wimmen got infected from a guy, who got it from a guy?