world cup help

unclehobart

Someone please explain to this ignorant yank the ranking system (2 0 0 1) and the points. I understand wins and losses and ties. Why 4 columns? What do they represent?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
ris, please explain that to this ignorant mexican too. :D :D

I know about points and that stuff, but i don't seem to get that table, in fact i just don't care that much about it. :D :D

I guess it has something to do with goals made and goals against.

ris

yeah, sorry i should have explained that earlier :)

team.......played...won..drawn..lost..points
england......2.........1........1.......0....pts4

3pts for a win, 1 for a draw. when it comes to end of the group stage in the event of a tie on points teams are ranked by goal difference, then goals scored, and then the result between the team if the previous are identical.

unclehobart

played? played! ... you must be joking.. You mean to tell me that people cannot add 3 single digit numbers on the fly? Thats pathetic.

OMG ... OMG ... I can't handle 1 + 1 + 0 ... we need a total games played column.

ris

it's just standard football tables, the full ones look like this:

team...played.won..drawn..lost..goals for..goals against..goal difference...points

in a season of 38 games you need all the columns, for smaller championships like this it's just reassuring :)

unclehobart

I can see it for a 38 game season...

What is the maximum number of games played by the pair that reaches the final? 15? 12?

Luis G

Staff member
3 in the group, 1 on knockouts, 1 on quarter, 1 on semifinals, and 1 in the final match.

7 games

Luis G

Staff member
There are also the games before the cup, you know, not all countries make it to the world cup.

However, i don't know how many games are to be played to qualify to the world cup.

ris

given that these are international teams who play maybe that number of games in a year and meet up infrequently, 7 games in 4 weeks is quite tight. and all the players also do 30-40 games a season domestic and maybe 10-12 european games.

and to think, i get knackered for 3 days after sunday league :D

ris

englands qualifying group was 6 teams i think, so ten games [home and away]. they are usually played over 2 years.

AlladinSane

South American qualifying games were played between 10 teams all vs all in home/away series. That counts for 18 games in 2 years. 4 teams classified and the 5th place(Uruguay) had to play 2 additional matches against the Champion of Oceania(Australia) to qualify.