World's Greatest Pianist born in California

Professur

Boy born with 24 fingers and toes
Baby Kamani
The condition runs in families

A baby boy has been born in California with 24 perfectly formed fingers and toes - six on each hand and foot.

Being born with additional digits - or being a "polydactyl" - is not wholly uncommon, but it is unusual to see the condition on every extremity.

The Bay Area hospital said staff did not notice the extra digits on ultrasound scans - and did not even spot it when Kamani Hubbard was born.

It was his father, Kris, who realised his son had some unusual features.

Polydactylism is genetic and the father said there was a family history of the condition. However he added his son's case was unique.

"Some family members have had six fingers, not completely developed. But not the toes."

A paediatrician at St Luke's hospital, Dr Michael Treece, said: "It's merely an interesting and beautiful variation rather than a worrisome thing.

"Imagine what sort of a pianist a 12-fingered person would be. Imagine what sort of flamenco guitarist. Think of their typing skills."

Famous polydactyls have reputedly included the English music hall entertainer Little Tich and Anne Boleyn - although the latter is still disputed by historians.

Cricketer Sir Garfield Sobers was also born with an extra finger on each hand.

Source

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
man, that's gonna require big shoes eventually.

6 toes instead of 5? Not necessarily. His toes could be skinnier than normal toes and thus his foot still normal size. When you look at people with wide feet there's even more space for an extra toe. I have wide feet, for many types of shoes I have to buy wide width (off the shelf wide width that is), I have some spaces between a few of my toes...one could easily fit a 6th toe without increasing the width of my foot.

catocom

must be regional, and or big city.
I get the widest standard type shoes/tennis shoes... I see, and I have to break um in.
I wear about an 11wide something? in a dress shoe.

Professur

Ladies and Gentlemen ... Welcome to "Spot the Engineer". The newest gameshow on OTC ... where all you have to do to be a winner is to pick out the engineer in a crowd of posters. Sometimes it's harder than you thing. Sometimes they stick out like a sore thumb. But it's all in the name of winning fabulous prizes and trips ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE!!!!!

And here we have our first contestant ... What's your name, little girl?

Altron

Fine, then. He'll need custom made gloves.

Nixy: "Just have the kid wear mittens!"

Inkara1

Ladies and Gentlemen ... Welcome to "Spot the Engineer". The newest gameshow on OTC ... where all you have to do to be a winner is to pick out the engineer in a crowd of posters. Sometimes it's harder than you thing. Sometimes they stick out like a sore thumb. But it's all in the name of winning fabulous prizes and trips ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE!!!!!

And here we have our first contestant ... What's your name, little girl?
I just love your subtle pun about extra fingers and sticking out like a sore thumb.

BlurOfSerenity

whenever i think of polydactylism i think of that one episode of the x-files that i don't remember much about other than that it had to do with polydactlys

tokmik

The newest gameshow on OTC ... where all you have to do to be a winner is to pick out the engineer in a crowd of posters. Sometimes it's harder than you thing.

2minkey

bootlicker

civil engineers seem to have it better in canada than the US. plus they get to wear that special little engineer ring... i know a few guys around guelph that are civil engineers. my girlfriend/partner is an ME. they all went to "Western."

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
civil engineers seem to have it better in canada than the US. plus they get to wear that special little engineer ring... i know a few guys around guelph that are civil engineers. my girlfriend/partner is an ME. they all went to "Western."

All engineers who went to an accredited school in Canada (ie the program is recognized by the professional engineer association in their province) get to wear the ring.

I went to Mac.

Professur

All engineers who went to an accredited school in Canada (ie the program is recognized by the professional engineer association in their province) get to wear the ring.

I went to Mac.

That's ok. We won't hold it against you.