Would you help a bird out?

MrBishop

They've tried getting hawks in Montreal a few times, but the pollution made the egg shells too thin and there were few progeny. A shame really...there's nothing quite like seeing a hawk take a pidgeon on the wing.

Hey Winky, you prefer pidgeons over hawks? How about rats?

Winky

What are the similarities between pigeons Hawks and Rats?

The very notion that intelligent human beings would concern
themselves over a coupla birds in this fashion shows that they are not
fit to be considered ‘intelligent human beings’. Sheesh go save a whale
at least they won’t perch on your widow and take a poop lol

Oh By the way as I type this our two Cockatiels (Midget and Lucky)
are raising a fuss.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
greenfreak said:
We were all nicely ignoring the troll Gato. Then you had to ruin it. ;)

I'm sorry. It's like an itch. You don't want to scratch, but you just...can't...help it. :(

MrBishop

Winky said:
What are the similarities between pigeons Hawks and Rats?

The latter will kill the two former. Less pidgeon shit on windows, walls, cars etc...and less rats in the sewers. :D

Also the main reason why I refuse to kill spiders.

greenfreak

MrBishop said:
They've tried getting hawks in Montreal a few times, but the pollution made the egg shells too thin and there were few progeny.
I just read about the same problem with two Bald Eagles who nested on a severely polluted island in Camden NJ. They're not having much success raising any chicks.

alex

What a shame they did that. There are so many other recourses they could have taken.

There is a nest of hawks back in the woods behind where I work. I see them patrolling the area every day. Once I walked out the side door to have a smoke and one of them was on the lawn just 20 feet away with a rabbit in it's claws. He stared at me and I just smoked my cig. He flew off after a couple of minutes....beautiful site.

greenfreak

I just read about the po'ouli bird of Hawaii, and that it is most likely now extinct. An excerpt from another news article about the bird:

So know this: The po'ouli is not unique. Most of Hawaii's native birds are heading toward extinction, victims of introduced predators, disease and habitat loss. Hawaii has more species listed as threatened or endangered – 312 – than any other state in the nation. Most are plants, but 32 of the 44 animal species are birds. Since Europeans first arrived in Hawaii in 1779, 26 bird species have gone extinct.
I think many of us remember heated discussions of what Hawaii was like before everyone else came along and ruined it. ;)

By the way, remember the plight of the Bald Eagle? They've been downgraded from endangered species... They're doing quite well now.

greenfreak

WE DID IT!!!!

Thanks for posting the link, Steve. The Audubon society got over 10,000 responses whether by letter, email or phone from all over the world. It's things like this that gives me a little bit of hope that we can make a difference, you know? I mean, look at that... All that press, all those people, all the protests for two birds!

Thanks once again for everyone who signed the petition, it's damn cool that this story is turning out so well.

For anyone who is interested, PBS aired the Pale Male documentary last night and will most likely be airing it again in the next few days. It's not going to be in a tv guide because it wasn't a planned thing; it was in response to the nest dismantling. A link to their Pale Male page: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/palemale/

Damn, I really have to get in to the city now and take a gander at the rebuilding.