WTF and a couple ???

A.B.Normal

The US defence department has banned the giant internet search engine Google from filming inside and making detailed studies of US military bases.

"Images include 360-degree views of the covered area to include access control points, barriers, headquarters, facilities and community areas," said the defence department in a statement quoted by AFP news agency.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7282635.stm

1) who at Google thought it a good idea to make 3d models of military bases???

2)who in the military gave them the go ahead???

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member

Gato_Solo

Yeah...didn't see that line. Mapping is one of those things that is both a burden and a boon. I'm sure the base commanders were thinking something different..."You mean they'll accurately map this base for free, thereby saving us the money we'd need to hire a surveyor to map it for us?" They may, or may not, have known about the photography. Also...they hopefully didn't have access to any sensitive areas.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
If it is public domain, I don't see the problem I would ASSUME sensitive areas where not photographed, mapped.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've never seen a military base that didn't have security at the front gate and heavy duty chains & locks at the unattended gaters.

Gato_Solo

I've never seen a military base that didn't have security at the front gate and heavy duty chains & locks at the unattended gaters.

Some army bases, and quite a few training bases, have main, public, roads going through them. Charleston Naval Weapons Station is one of them. Before 9/11, you could drive through most Army bases that had no airfield as well. Since then, though, security has been tight.

Inkara1

The bases around here have gates with secutiry... Vandenberg AFB has a highway going through it, but to get off the highway requires passing security.

Gato_Solo

The bases around here have gates with secutiry... Vandenberg AFB has a highway going through it, but to get off the highway requires passing security.

I wasn't talking highway. It's a 2-lane. Cuts right through the center of the base. One side is seemingly secure (chain link fence topped with concertina wire), but, as many times as I drove through to a public boat dock, I've only seen 2 patrols on the other side. The other side is completely open. If you get caught, however, the fine can be quite disasterous.

Inkara1

Vandenberg has a four-lane highway going through it, and a few other two-lane roads that sound about as you describe. Those roads don't require getting through security to get onto, but all the buildings and on-base housing require it.