wtf does this mean? Trillan is confusing me.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
say my net cuts out. When it comes back on, I always get
[11:26] AOL System Msg: Your screen name (canuck leslie) is now signed into AOL(R) Instant Messenger (TM) in 2 locations. To sign off the other locations, reply to this message with the number 1. Click here for more information.
[11:26] canuck leslie: 1
[11:26] AOL System Msg: Your other AIM sessions have been signed-off. You are now signed-on from 1 locations.
what are they tryin to say? what does it mean? I just hit the one everytime. :confuse3:

HomeLAN

My best guess is that it doesn't sign you out when your net quits, but does sign you back in when it comes back. This leaves you with two open sessions. It asks you which one to keep active, you tell it (1), and go on about your merry way.

Just a guess.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
That's because the server still thinks your session is active, this behaviour is due to the net cut out, the server never received a 'quit' command from your account, and when you try to sign in again it detects your account twice.

Nothing to worry about actually.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
ok, thanks guys, that's what I thought...but then I started second guessing it and thinking of all manner of problems : eyetwitch :

I have 2 net cutout things that are just between chair and keyboard. (On DSL atm). One, is Azureus conflicts with my Plug and Play and takes the net out with it every time I close it. Two, a loose connection in the phone jack I'm hooked up to. If I wasn't lazy I'd fix those things :eyemouth:

Avery just had a hockeystick under a cupboard trying to get the car(s) he rolled under there and knocked the phone wire. That prompted this whole question thing.

Luis G

Staff member
is there a way to disabled Upnp from the router and manually configure the port forwarding?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I don't have a router.

why don't you come over and figure it out for me? :lloyd:

Luis G

Staff member
Someday I will :D

But for now, I guess that your modem has a built-in firewall (or maybe it doesn't), is there a way to access its config util so you can disable upnp?

Luis G

Staff member
:lol:

ok, let's try it reverse mode.
In azureus go to tools, options, plugins, Upnp. Uncheck "enable upnp", save and restart azureus.

If your download speed becomes crap after that then your dsl modem is in fact a firewall and is blocking incoming connections, solution: check "enable upnp" in azureus.

If speed does not get a hit, you're done, no more inet dropping after azureus is closed ;)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Luis G said:
:lol:

ok, let's try it reverse mode.
In azureus go to tools, options, plugins, Upnp. Uncheck "enable upnp", save and restart azureus.

If your download speed becomes crap after that then your dsl modem is in fact a firewall and is blocking incoming connections, solution: check "enable upnp" in azureus.

If speed does not get a hit, you're done, no more inet dropping after azureus is closed ;)
I did that already, it sUx0rr3d :p

So yeah, that's it. I gave up. Only 1 minute of trouble every week or two, no biggie.

Luis G

Staff member
UPNP sucks ass :D

At least for me, since I like to have control over what goes and comes. Upnp aware applications will open ports and the firewall will automatically grant them a port, that's somehow convenient for those who can not bother with configurations, but i'm paranoid and I don't like it ;)

Liliandra

This could actually be a bad thing... I use Yahoo messanger and myself had this message when no one that I knew was logged into my messenger. A friend has also had this problem and found out that the person that was on with his name was cybering with peoples of improper age (he found out by the pics of the improper age in his e-mail the next day) And another friend of ours was on the phone with us at the same time that we were typing to someone that was on his screenname. Needless to say we've already changed all of our screennames, but I think this could be something strange going on.

catocom

Trillan, AOL, Azureus, yahoo IM....
all you need is
Real player, google desktop, wild tangent, my way search,
google search toolbar, yahoo searchbar, and mybe a couple more,
then get Windows antispyware, and yahoo antispyware,
and don't forget Kazaa, and MS Messenger.
You'l be all setup then. *phanwink*