WWII Ammo Box Computer

Lopan

Looks suspiciously like a Dell :D

I was going to get a small form pc, but until they can increase the number of Pci and Agp slots then nope.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Lopan said:

I was going to get a small form pc, but until they can increase the number of Pci and Agp slots then nope.
i wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon, small == convenient == not expandable. the number of pci slots on laptops haven't increased much in the past decade. oh, and BTW, i've never heard of a dual agp system, IIRC pci bus limitations restrict you to one agp slot regardless of the form factor. pci-e OTOH makes dual video slots a reality.

HeXp£Øi±

It's not a dell it's a Shuttle Xpc. I just bought that exact case this week for a family member and i must say it's by far the neatest most organized case i have ever worked on. The only drawback i could see is the one pci slot but really it's perfect. It's not meant to be a server. You can fit a couple of sata drives inside and the cooling is first rate. Actually i've still got this thing sitting on my desk and i'm not sure i want to get rid of it. :D

Edit: oh yeah...love the Ammo box. :D

chcr

Too cute for words
Lopan said:

Can you say USB? :nerd:

Seriously, I think the same thing. I need a full ATX board.

Lopan

tommyj27 said:
i wouldn't count on that happening anytime soon, small == convenient == not expandable. the number of pci slots on laptops haven't increased much in the past decade. oh, and BTW, i've never heard of a dual agp system, IIRC pci bus limitations restrict you to one agp slot regardless of the form factor. pci-e OTOH makes dual video slots a reality.

Sorry I meant USB, It was late I was tired. I said Dell becasue its chunky and box like, hence Dell.

chcr

Too cute for words
Lopan said:
Sorry I meant USB, It was late I was tired. I said Dell becasue its chunky and box like, hence Dell.
You can hook (in theory) up to 127 devices to a single usb port through hubs. I personally have had as many as six at one time (with two four port hubs). :shrug:

PostCode

Major contributor!
The USB post on my laptop is flaking out (needs to torn down and resoldered) so I got a two port USB 2 PCMCIA card. Got another hub chained off that in which I've got a wireless mouse, USB network dongle thingie, external hard drive, and a flash drive attached. The other port on the PCMCIA I use to attach drives via the USB to IDE thingie to copy data from customers drives.

I've heard some say that the power it draws can make a system reboot, especially laptops, but I've yet to experience any problems myself.