WWWAAAAHHHH!!

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
from tonguetied.us

Diversity stormtroopers at Ole Miss are asking students to stop using the phrase "the South will rise again" when the band plays Dixie at football games because they say it's hurting the school's reputation, says The Daily Mississippian.

Opponents of the phrase say it represents a piece of Ole Miss' history that offends many groups on campus, including blacks. It also encourages stereotyping, they say.

"We are not saying don't say this, but we are saying please don't say it at this time," says Eruke Ohwofasa, executive director of Diversity Affairs at the school. "Yes, everyone has a right to free speech, but everyone also has the right to go to a football game without being offended by what the person next to them says," she said. "After all, it was the South's battle cry towards the end of the Civil War."

**end**

Umm...'scuse me? Ole Miss? South? Fucking deal with it. Don't wanna hear someone say a phrase? Take yer whinin' ass north. We didn't ask you here in the first place. You're in Dixie. Deal with it, or get the hell out. Last time I checked, Ohwofasa wasn't exactly one of them good ol' local names anyways. Go to college in Bwana or where ever. You're a guest...polite guests don't whimper all the time. Crybaby.

HomeLAN

everyone also has the right to go to a football game without being offended by what the person next to them says

WRONG!! Therein lies the entire root of the fucking problem. You have zero right to never be offended.

flavio

Banned
Oh sorry, since he said...

You're in Dixie. Deal with it, or get the hell out.
...I thought he meant a guest in Dixie.

In your case since Eruke Ohwofasa works for the school SnP would be more of a guest.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
flavio said:
In your case since Eruke Ohwofasa works for the school SnP would be more of a guest.

Nope. Born, raised, and gonna die right here in good ol' Dixie. Eruke the cultural diversity man/woman/whatever a Eruke is would be the one out of place I'd wager. No native Mississippi resident would take the stance this person has taken...and brag about it in public.

flavio

Banned
SouthernN'Proud said:
Nope. Born, raised, and gonna die right here in good ol' Dixie. Eruke the cultural diversity man/woman/whatever a Eruke is would be the one out of place I'd wager. No native Mississippi resident would take the stance this person has taken...and brag about it in public.
You'd certainly be more of a guest than them at that school since she works there and you're from another state. I don't see anything that indicates Eruke is not a native Mississippi resident either, that's pure assumption on your part.

You can't really say everyone in ANY state thinks the same way. Especially when it's about the battle cry of a group that was trying to keep the institution of slavery.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I can say any damn thing I like, just like you.

I can come closer to knowing the climate in Mississippi than you can.

Keep your day job, pal. You'll never survive as a fisherman. Takes more bait than you're capable of to get my goat. I've destroyed better.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Ole Miss has a executive director of Diversity Affairs? Now that is something new.

flavio

Banned
SouthernN'Proud said:
I can say any damn thing I like, just like you.
Say whatever you want but you're assumptions aren't the same as facts.

I can come closer to knowing the climate in Mississippi than you can.
Hey great, another assumption.

Keep your day job, pal. You'll never survive as a fisherman. Takes more bait than you're capable of to get my goat. I've destroyed better.
:rofl3: I've seen enough of your lame excuses...."I'm too tired to reply", "I have to save keystrokes", "search if you want an answer", "you're not worth giving an answer", etc to see your colors. When you really get backed into a corner you just run away from the thread completely.

unclehobart

I see it as an attempt to dissect and dismantle uniqueness and establish culture by outside forces. It in and of itself breaks no law and is nothing more than a symbolic chant. To 99.5% of those that chant it are niether planning insurrections or lynchings. It is merely an 'our thing' unique battle cry to the school to boost morale. To see it in any other light is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Diversity is the blending of all things until no semblance of difference remains. I can't imagine a more horrible outcome to society. I seriously doubt that any of us wants big brother to tell us all how to live, act, and feel. Human nature simply will not allow it. Diet Orwellian soda anyone?

flavio

Banned
unclehobart said:
I see it as an attempt to dissect and dismantle uniqueness and establish culture by outside forces. It in and of itself breaks no law and is nothing more than a symbolic chant. To 99.5% of those that chant it are niether planning insurrections or lynchings. It is merely an 'our thing' unique battle cry to the school to boost morale. To see it in any other light is making a mountain out of a molehill.
If students at a university in Germany were chanting "The Third Reich shall rise again" maybe you could see how that might be an issue for some Jews that attended even if 99.5% of those chanting it weren't planning any insurrections or gassings.

Diversity is the blending of all things until no semblance of difference remains. I can't imagine a more horrible outcome to society. I seriously doubt that any of us wants big brother to tell us all how to live, act, and feel. Human nature simply will not allow it. Diet Orwellian soda anyone?
That's actually not the definition of diversity. Here's the schools student organization's goals on the matter:

SEED (Students Envisioning Equality through Diversity),

+ Equality - Freedom - Justice - Peace - Respect +

Goals:

1. Liberation of all oppressed people.
2. Eradication of racism, sexism, and elitism.
3. Generating awareness of inequalities and their effects in society.

Methodology:

1. Education
2. Activism

http://www.olemiss.edu/orgs/seed/

unclehobart

Fine... Here is the definition of diversity. It still seemingly has no meaning insofar as said goals are laid out. Their demands are attempting to nullify the diversity they claim to protect.

di·ver·si·ty (dĭ-vûr'sĭ-tē, dī-)
n., pl. -ties.

1. The fact or quality of being diverse; difference.
2. A point or respect in which things differ.
Variety or multiformity: “Charles Darwin saw in the diversity of species the principles of evolution that operated to generate the species: variation, competition and selection” (Scientific American).

di·verse (dĭ-vûrs', dī-, dī'vûrs')
adj.
Differing one from another.
Made up of distinct characteristics, qualities, or elements: “Prague … offers visitors a series of excursions into a rich and diverse past” (Olivier Bernier).

A nazi battle cry is a bad analogy since anything related to that era is an imprisonable offense in and of itself within Germany.

flavio

Banned
unclehobart said:
Fine... Here is the definition of diversity. It still seemingly has no meaning insofar as said goals are laid out. Their demands are attempting to nullify the diversity they claim to protect.
Seems like their request is not have the school band use a phrase that endorses a disgusting era in American history. An era where people of a race that also attends the school were severely mistreated. This relates directly to their goals of respect, awareness, and eradication of racism.

A nazi battle cry is a bad analogy since anything related to that era is an imprisonable offense in and of itself within Germany.
I think the analogy works as both are reminders of an era of serious mistreatment of a certain race of people. While the Germans have outlawed references to their era this school has simply asked that references not be made by the school band.