Xp service pack 2

IDLEchild

Anyone install it yet?

Just got done installing it and so far nothing broken. Some of the smaller softwares don't work now and for some reason it doesn't read Norton anti-virus as active when Norton is working just fine.

Lets see what other new surprises arise.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
been running it for a week. No problems so far... "knocks on wood"

a couple of the things updated are nice. i now have a built in popup stopper thru ie. it also changed something in media player. but im using in on our network to test how it is going to effect our applications, so far without incident.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
If it ain't broke....

My laptop is working just fine with SP1 (came with it installed), it has complete functionality and the system is stable.

A few reasons to not update:
- I already have a fiewall running (ZA).
- At home, I have a NAT with the firewall enabled and it just passes through certain ports I choose, which are blocked effectively by ZA when the programs are not using them.
- I can only imagine how many new security vulnerabilities were introduced...

*Staying with SP1

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I like the popup blocker. The google one was failing. I disabled all the automatic changes though.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
for some reason, no one has ever heard of XenoBar...which blocks all you want, in IE...and has been on the market for years :shrug:

PostCode

Major contributor!
For Norton, depending on the version installed, you may need to run LiveUpdate and install the WMA update from Symantec. Version 2003 and 2004 both use this. I don't know as of yet if 2002 has one. I don't have any computers running it and have not installed it on any customers computers with that version on it. This update is for the funtionality between the anti-virus program and the new Security Center of XP.

I haven't installed it on any customers computers yet but I do have it installed on my computers here in the shop and have yet to run into any problems. IE has now been set to block a lot of scripts which annoyed me so I turned that off. The security center also watches a bit more like ICQ, Trillian, and the rest of the IM clients, except MS Messenger.

Also check out the Data Execution Prevention fature. Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab then the Settings button in the Performance section and finally the Data Execution Prevention tab. This is what is supposed to be the preventive measure against virus's like MSBlast and Sasser as I understand it. Some program, like DivX are having problem because of this.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Shadowfax said:
for some reason, no one has ever heard of XenoBar...which blocks all you want, in IE...and has been on the market for years :shrug:

And apparently no one has ever heard of this a program that will effectively make your browsing safe from ALL Internet Explorer bugs, it has a pop-up blocker and cookie management.

btw, it can also get you rid of Outlook bugs.

Straight from microsoft:

Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
1. Help protect your PC from harmful attachments.
By alerting you to potentially unsafe attachments, SP2 helps guard your computer from viruses that can spread through Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, and Windows Messenger.

2. Improve your privacy when you’re on the Web.
SP2 helps protect your private information by applying the security settings that guard your PC to the files and content downloaded using Internet Explorer.

3. Avoid potentially unsafe downloads.
Internet Explorer download monitoring and the Internet Explorer Information Bar warn you about potentially harmful downloads and give you the option to block files that could be malicious.

4.Reduce annoying pop-ups.
Internet Explorer Pop-Up Blocker makes browsing the Internet more enjoyable by helping you reduce the unwanted ads and content that pop up when you’re browsing the Web.

5. Get firewall protection from startup to shutdown.
The powerful, built-in Windows Firewall is now turned on by default. This helps protect Windows XP against viruses and worms that can spread over the Internet.

6. Take control of your security settings.
The new Windows Security Center allows you to easily view your security status and manage key security settings in one convenient place.

7. Get the latest updates easily.
Enhancements to Windows XP’s Automatic Updates feature make it even easier to access Windows updates. Plus, new technology has been added to help dial-up customers download updates more efficiently.

8. Help protect your e-mail address.
Improvements to Outlook Express help reduce unwanted e-mail by limiting the possibility of your e-mail address being validated by potential spammers.

9. Take action against crashes caused by browser add-ons.
The new Add-On Manager in Internet Explorer lets you easily view and control add-ons to reduce the potential for crashes and enjoy a more trouble-free browsing experience.

10. Go wireless without the hassle.
SP2 improves wireless support and simplifies the process of discovering and connecting to wireless networks in your home or on the road.

6 out of the 10 top reasons to upgrade to SP2 are actually updates to IE and Outlook.