XP SP1

greenfreak

I'm in need of some "information" regarding downloading XP SP1 and the ensuing inability to download any more updates because of a certain 'problem'... If anyone would be so kind to offer some "information" about this issue, I would be appreciative if you could contact me so that I could resolve some questions I have. :D

Sorry for the cryptic speech but I want to make sure I don't violate the AUP... :)

Jeslek

Banned
Alright, if your product ID is XXXXX-640-0000356-23XXX and XXXXX-640-2001765-23XXX, Microsoft will not allow you to install Service Pack 1 due to the fact that a large number of those serials were issued to corporate customers, and 90% of pirated XP copies out there are installed using those serial numbers. However, there are legal copies out there, and Microsoft will help you out.

First you need to change the installed serial number. Make sure you got a valid serial number from Microsoft. Backup the registry and:

Click Start > Run > and type in Regedit

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\wpaevents

In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify

Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows

Click OK and close regedit

Click Start > Run and type in: "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a"

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next

Click Change Product Key (at the bottom)

Enter your valid Corporate Product Key

Press Update and close the window.

If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later

Restart your computer

That should fix it. Now you can call Microsoft and ask them for a serial number if you don't have another one. ;)

B

Bubba

Gonz said:
for the sake of argument: let's let this one drop. ;)

what argument? i don't care either way how she "acquired" her copy. i am not her daddy. :D