Xupiter(Malware) & Ad-aware 6.0

Aunty Em

I downloaded the new Ad-aware 6.0 Personal Edition this evening and guess what it found on my drive? Xupiter no less... and the records in the registry that indicated it had tried to hijack my browser 3 times and failed... don't ask me why, I had no idea it was there!

I suggest you get it and check your systems if you haven't already.

Ad-aware 6.0

Aunty Em

Well since I did visit Altrons page a short while back I can only assume that I must have picked it up there in light of the recent troubles.

But I also regularly check for security updates for IE and only installed the latest just last week.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I would be really pissed with what I've heard about that crap. Glad I'm on a Mac. most of that stuff won't affect us. Sorry to hear you had it too, Aunty.

greenfreak

I also downloaded Spybot and it came up with 11 things I wanted to delete. There were more on the list but they were things in Windows 2000 that are supposed to be there. Like the recent list of documents you've opened. That would be handy though if you knew someone was going to be using your computer and you didn't want them to know where you've been, what files you've opened.

Mirlyn

If you right click on the taskbar, properties, Start menu (and Customize for XP users) you'll see the same option: button named "Clear" :wink2:

greenfreak

There are also other places to delete recent information, in the 'Recent' folder, in Internet Options, etc. Since you would have to visit more than one place to really do that, I think something like Spybot would be better for people that really don't know all the places they're stored. I wonder if you can restore that information later from Spybot? I don't see why not.