Ya ever notice ...

Inkara1

So in the video I saw of a wind turbine turning so fast in a storm that it threw itself apart, it wasn't the brake that malfunctioned but the mechanism that turns the angle of the vanes?

MrBishop

Seems to work just dandy in Spain using a grid - where the pyraneese have the turbines but the whole of SPain reaps the benefits.
*Just in case you've never seen one live...those things are FRIGGIN' HUGE!!!

Professur

So in the video I saw of a wind turbine turning so fast in a storm that it threw itself apart, it wasn't the brake that malfunctioned but the mechanism that turns the angle of the vanes?

From what I've seen and read, yeah. They use a governor on the system that as it passes a certain speed, the vanes turn to maintain that speed, up to a certain point, where the brakes would engage to halt it completely. It may have been braked and the brakes failed, all it to continue to accelerate when the governor had topped out.

I saw a windfarm on the Gaspe peninsula, and they had a few vanes lying about at the tourist stop. Very long, very substantial. but as with helicopters, the tip is moving at one hellatious clip while the centre isn't.

Frodo

Your comparison doesn't work in the least. You realize oil companies are given gigantic subsidies from your tax dollars right now?

This makes me feel better about congress how?

So, not only am I laying on the ground bleeding as they step over me to walk away with my money, I find out that they bought the baseball bat with my money and gave it to the mugger to begin with:eek:!!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Right, more cities should take over their own energy needs.

becuase community choice energy can provide cheaper and more reliable power and allow communities to rapidly move towards renewable energy.

Alrighty then commrade.

How long is "not long at all"? 6 months? 5 years? 10?