Yard Sales!

tonksy

Do you do this? Do you shop at them? Do you have them? When is the season where you are?
They are slowing starting back up again here. We went today and I made a few nice scores :swing:

HomeLAN? When is your neighborhood big one this year?

HomeLAN

I haven't really thought about it. About all I have to sell is books, and I have another use for those. There's a group up in Blue Ridge collecting books to send to US troops. I think that's where some stuff is gonna go.

greenfreak

Mostly I just drive by them slowly, seeing if there are any gems that stand out of the crowd.

But I did score two brand new twin beds (still boxed/wrapped up), a lamp, a computer desk, two dressers, and a 6-foot couch for $80.00 at a tag sale 10 years ago.

I've been trying to get Rusty warmed up to the idea of having our own yard sale this summer. We have tons of books that we could offload, computer equipment, I could reprint some photos and sell them, maybe make some postcards out of them.

A guy I work with had a lot of success doing the yard sale thing for his I Sold on EBay franchise. But he said business has been slow lately.

tonksy

That I sold on ebay is such a racket! I can't believe the cut they take! And it is sooo simple to do it yourself! -No disrespect for your friend, he just makes waaaay too easy money.

greenfreak

I know, I couldn't imagine going through a company like that. Their target is most likely the people that don't know enough about auctions, the internet in general, or don't feel safe doing it themselves.

He's not really a friend, he's just a coworker. The reason why he got the job with me was because the business didn't make enough money so... :shrug:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
We've had a couple. Clothes sell OK, junk goes quick, the decent stuff gets bypassed. Books and LPs/CDs almost never sell. Must be my eclectic tastes.

We hit a couple about once a month during season. We plan to hit a ton of them this year, since we have so much to replace. Dammit.

They start up around here in April or thereabouts, and go through mid to late September.

I've scored some major finds at them, but 70% of the time I find nothing I want. We got a once-used Wagner Power Painter with all the trimmings for five bucks. It was in the house. Dammit.

Dave

Mostly I just drive by them slowly, seeing if there are any gems that stand out of the crowd.
that is exactly why i fucking hate yard sales and think there should be a constitutional ammendment specifically banning them.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Oh man, my dad was the yard sale KING. Up north where our trailer was were the best ones cause there people mostly had them to get rid of stuff. In the city you see some good ones but more are to make money so people aren't as willing to bargain. My mom and I still go once in awhile through out the summer if we get up and are in the mood well drive around Brampton and hit a few. Some of the stuff we've bought over the years...microwave, coffee maker, prolly a lawn mower or two I would think, oh hell, I don't even know...we've gotten some awesome deals though.

Inkara1

In Fresno, you have to buy a yard sale license and you're limited to holding three a year.

majestyx

Here you have to have a permit and you can only have 2 a year. It's getting to be that time of year where they start popping up all over. I've had a couple myself over the years, and didn't do too bad. Got rid of a lot of junk and made some cash. :devious:

Inkara1

eBay is my new yard sale. I like the idea of getting more money for stuff than I thought I would, instead of slapping a "25¢" sticker on it and wondering if I might have gotten $200 instead.

Inkara1

$200 for a piece of software that was *this close* to going in the dumpster. Gotta love it. :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
*pictures Tonksy trying to get her kids to grow quicker so she can sell the clothes* :D

Mare

tonksy said:
Do you do this? Do you shop at them? Do you have them? When is the season where you are?
They are slowing starting back up again here. We went today and I made a few nice scores :swing:

[RAISES HAND] I LOVE EM!!! [RAISES HAND] :swing: