Yard sales

Stop Laughing

Anyone ever go to yard or garage sales looking for junk that maybe you can use? I got lucky and found an HP LaserJet 4L for $35 with paper and toner. :cool: I also once got a VCR for a dollar, but it was a top loader and heavier than the TV and broke down in about one year. :eek:

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
I used to, but I bought toys most of the time....I was 7 :D

That was in the US, here there are no Yard sales! :(

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
&lt;-----Loves Yard Sales.

Buy books mostly, but always looking for tools, Puter stuff (although all I ever seem to find is some 20 y/o Apple 2e).

greenfreak

I think I can beat you all!

My ex-brother-in-law used to drive around looking for yard sales and tag sales. Right around the time I was moving into my first unfurnished apartment, he found this tag sale and took me with him. I got:

2 brand new twin mattresses still in the plastic with two boxsprings and frames,
1 7 foot couch (ugly but still springy)
2 dressers and desk set
1 lamp

All this for $125.!! It was awesome. I still have the beds and the lamp but chucked everything else when I moved last year.

I've never found a yard/tag sale that had anything that good again. I did go with my friend Kim one weekend driving around looking for them and I've bought assorted things here and there. But I generally don't stop at them.

Ardsgaine

A friend of mine owned a second hand store for awhile and he was a yard sale shopper extraordinaire. He could find really great items too: depression era glass, art deco and art nouveau stuff. He has the best taste of any person I know. :p

equinoxe3d

Yard sales rules. We have a big one across all our town each summer, I bought a not-so-old Sony A/V stereo receiver for $25, works perfectly but there's some hum on the output, will make it repair it someday...

The only thing I find that is computer-related there is always those damn 5 1/2 floppy cases and old-ass bad games. Big flea markets has more better old 'puter stuff though.

I agree it is awesome for furniture and collection stuff though...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
My Mother-In-Law is like a Yard Sale Goddess, I cringe when the phone rings on Saturday mornings cause it's usually her at a yard sale, and she needs a truck. So I have to go over to my brothers, get his truck and find this yard sale she's bought a new table and chairs, armoire, or something huge and heavy, and take it home for her.

She also loves Auctions, the last one she went to was at a storage unit. Before they open it, they have an Auction and if they get enough, it's over. She bought a 10 X 30 unit full of stuff for $150 a couple months ago. Great deal, got a Trek mountain bike(I took that off her hands), a Nice Solid Cherry bedroom set, a couple window air conditioners, and a ton of other stuff. and, she sold the two window units for $200 right there after she opened it.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
*thinks of the good stuff they've gotten at yard sales*

VCRs, microwaves, I can't even list it but I know my dad always offered half what they were asking and usually paid only half too! he was a good bargainer!