Yardwork

Do you do your own yard work?

• Yes, I do it all myself and I have the blisters to prove it.

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • It's a family chore around here - share and share alike.

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Yard work? That's what spouses and kids are for!

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Hey numbnuts...I live in an apartment. No I don't do yardwork!

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I hire a high school dropout to do it for me. It's one of the perks of being rich.

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Do you do your own yardwork? If so, how often do you have to do it? How long does it take to "git'r done?" What if any power equipment to you employ? Inquiring (and bored) minds want to know!

chcr

Too cute for words
Do it all myself (Dara does some of the flowerbeds). 2+ acres. Got an old Craftsman lawn tractor, Troybilt tiller/chipper-shredder and a Ryobi interchangeable head weedeater/edger/cultivator to help out though.

Uki Chick

I do all the yardwork myself. Depending on what needs to be done. The mowing of the lawn is done every week to two weeks, depending on how tall the grass gets. I use a gas mower, can't be bothered with electric. Once that's done, the trimmer comes out to do the edges of the lawn. That all together takes me about 1 hours to 1 1/2 hours. If the flower garden needs to be done, well, that can be another hours to get the weeds out and get it looking good. I'll usually get rid of the weeds around the yard as well, so that can be time consuming as well.

MrBishop

i do all the work myself, especially since Mrsbish is having a harder time bending over as time goes on. This year, there's a bit less to do...my vegiGarden's only going to have potatos, tomatoes and green onions...no time. I must take down and rebuild a side porch, plus the baby room etc... :(

My front lawn's a lot easier this year. Last year, we had Japanese Beetles and the grubs ate my lawn. I had to remove everything, turn it all, add soil, flatten it out and grow my grass from seed. Looked like shit for a while, but this year's a dream. The grass out front is so thick that weeds don't stand a chance. No specialized equipment...just an old Black 'n Decker electric mower and a weed-whacker....and several gallons of elbow-grease :D

greenfreak

I rent and my landlord is supposed to be responsible for the landscaping. In years past, he hired this guy Mike who walked around the neighborhood, pushing his lawn mower (with no bag) and he cut the lawn once every 2-3 weeks in the summer. Not a very good situation.

After constant complaints from myself and my neighbors, the landlord finally got a landscaping company to do it this year. They mow, bag, edge, and rake under the bushes.

I trim all the bushes and do all the flower gardening. I have sectioned off areas that are fenced in and mulched so they don't need to mow/weed/edge the areas. I only have a manual hedge trimmer which is getting annoying. With five large hedges, a lilac bush, and a monster rose bush growing over the fence, I wind up hurting after all that trimming. I'm going to be borrowing my parent's electric hedge trimmer this year, save myself the trouble.

Last weekend, I spent about 12 hours outside potting up flowers, mulching, trimming, putting up mini-fences around the pots, organizing, throwing away garbage. By the end of the weekend I was sunburned & sore but it looks pretty darn nice out there now. Four of my neighbors came over to chat, admire my work, and give me some gardening tools. :)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Yeah, somehow I managed to duplicate the thread. Must be morning.

We all pitch in here. We have almost 2 acres we mow, so a riding mower or two is vital. We also have a push/self propelled mower for trimming, a gas and an electric string trimmer, and hand held rechargable shears for the flower beds. That doesn't include the tillers and such for the garden. The other acre and a half or so is mowed for hay by a neighbor with horses, so at least that task is taken off us. All in all, with all three of us going at it at once, we can usually finish in two to three hours or so, plus weeding the flower beds which me loving spouse handles the majority of that chore thank heaven.

unclehobart

Murray 6hp mower... 45min/week mowing.
1 edger, 1 trimmer ... extra 30 minutes every other week.
weed pulling... constant battle
straw work ... twice a year, half a day
fertilizing... lawn 4/yr... plants constantly
pressure washer, paint brushes, shovels, rakes, blades, chiansaws... ugh

Add in the 15 times I have to rake in the fall and it adds up to about 3 hours a week.

That doesn't include the 100+ plant additions. This year we have broken tons of soil to plant roses, flowers, vinca, tomatoes, ...gobs and gobs of flowers.

This spring was extra tough in that I had to hack out and de-root 4 old azaleas and 4 boxwood hollies that were too close to the house foundation and interfering with the exterior renovations.

Dave

all of us do work around the yard. for big projects, we hire someone. our schedules are so erratic that it'd take too long to finish anything.

TexasRaceLady

I mow most of the 7 acres of "yard". Use a Husqvarna Commercial 48" cut ZTR --- takes about 2 hours.
The other 5 acres --- around the trees and difficult --- I leave to the hubby on the tractor with bushhog.

Stop Laughing

I have such a small lawn I don't even need a lawnmower, like 6 feet by 12 feet. It's the damn bushes that are killing me and I really want to get rid of them but they're bigger than the lawn and seem to be all twigs. Anyone know how to remove a large bush? I'll take a pic of it later if necessary, about the same size as the lawn as the base of it (probably a little bigger), but 6 feet tall as well and is most annoying when I have to climb through it to plug in the extension cord to the outlet behind the bush to do the trimming (or christmas lights in winter), if I get out with only 3 cuts I consider myself lucky.

Winky

This
dollarb.gif
plus this
telephone.gif
equals Bush be-gone!

Stop Laughing

So does a can of gasoline and a match, but I'm trying to see if there's other, better options...

Finding a landscaper is proving to be really tough. Almost everyone listed is out of business or the number doesn't work. Heck, even a van we saw across the street had a number that turned up dead when calling it that same day. Gotta find one as it's coming into business, I guess.

Winky

Even if you chop the suckas down yerself there is the haul off issue.

Here we have quarterly 'bulk trash pick-up' and the city comes with a mini front loader
and will take 20 cubic yards at a time.

So 'round here ya whack 'em down and pile em' up and they-be-gone.

Inkara1

I'd do my own yard work if I weren't in an apartment. It's up to us in the apartments to water the grass, but otherwise someone comes to mow once a week and the landlord comes and trims the roses every now and then, usually when they've grown enough that they block my way into my apartment.

I've made a pledge to myself that when I finally get to buy a house, the yard is my domain and any girl I marry will have to understand that.

Winky

"Yes, I do it all myself and I have the blisters to prove it."

Well it certainly doesn’t raise any blisters.

I also do all the house work, the majority of the grocery shopping, car maintenance and upkeep, wash my own clothes, (I refuse to wash hers or the kid's) do my own cooking, the budget and bills, major financial decisions, generate the majority of the income yada yada yada...

Tell me again what that Wife is for?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Winky said:
"Yes, I do it all myself and I have the blisters to prove it."

Well it certainly doesn’t raise any blisters.

I also do all the house work, the majority of the grocery shopping, car maintenance and upkeep, wash my own clothes, (I refuse to wash hers or the kid's) do my own cooking, the budget and bills, major financial decisions, generate the majority of the income yada yada yada...

Tell me again what that Wife is for?

You're just a regular barrel of fun, ain't ya? What's your name anyway, Ward Cleaver? :D