yet another [b] update

SCSI is just plain faster, its just a 'feel' almost like IDE is thinking about something everytime but SCSI is sure about what its doing, if you get my drift :D

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
nalani said:
!!!!!

this is how I build my puters:

step 1. call Brian at Network 2000
step 2. tell him what I want
step 3. fill out a Purchase Order
step 4. send out check
step 5. take puter out of the box

VOILA! Hope that helps :D

by the way - I'm looking into getting an Canon SLR EOS 10D (not for student use) to take pictures of whales breaching from the shore. What lens do you recommend? I'm looking at the 75mm - 300mm lens (since the imaging area of the 10D is smaller than 35mm, I figured the focal length should be about equivalent to a 120mm - 480mm - or am I figuring wrong?). The EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM/EOS runs about $230 and the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM/EOS runs about $500 - which of the two would you recommend and why? *secretly hoping you're going to say the cheaper one* :D

Nice to see you hun - *hug*

Nice camera, Na.

Hi, . 'Putors are actually quite easy to build, provided you don't try to stick an Intel chip onto an AMD motherboard, or vice-versa. ;) Just remember that old rule...You get what you pay for...and you'll do fine...Since I built my own system (AMD), I'm biased towards their set-ups, but what you've seen here so far on memory is right. Get the most you can afford, but not less than 512MB. Video cards are pretty much neck and neck between NVidia and Radeon, but I'd lean towards Radeon ATM.

kuulani

[b] said:
kuu: jan, ards, and v1.0 and 2.0 are doing well. there might be some job changes and a move in the future for them, but information on that is sketchy right now.

thanks for the update!! well, at least they don't have to worry about finding a good school district ;)

:D

kuulani

nalani said:
I'm looking into getting an Canon SLR EOS 10D (not for student use) to take pictures of whales breaching from the shore.

halamikage is good at taking pics of whales ;)

chcr

Too cute for words
Justn, you don't think SATA is about as good as SCSI. Note that I've never worked with SATA or SCSI-3 yet. I really like the little cables for SATA.

Mirlyn

Justintime said:
since its photo editing and graphics i'd want as much RAM as possible to keep me out the swaps, if going for 512 then i'd get 2 256 MB sticks to take advantage of the Dual channel feature of the NForce 2 boards.

Owner of a nforce2 board......I must say, you WILL notice a SIGNIFICANT speed increase doing the dual memory. Mines not true, its actually a 256/PC2100 and 512/PC2700 but its in the dual mode and running GREAT. I never would have believed it was this fast before I got the board.

I'd go IDE still. :)

From what I've heard, SATA is nowhere near as fast as the SCSI stuff. They just haven't refined it. Then again, SATA is cheaper than SCSI stuff.

greenfreak

Na, when I was looking for a zoom lens for my Minolta, everyone said one brand: Tamron. I wound up getting a 200mm Tamron lens and I love it. I would, however, invest in a tripod if you don't already have one. Camera shake is a problem with the zoom lenses and unless you have kick-ass anti-shake technology on the camera and really still hands, it might show up in your shots. :)

Gato_Solo

greenfreak said:
Na, when I was looking for a zoom lens for my Minolta, everyone said one brand: Tamron. I wound up getting a 200mm Tamron lens and I love it. I would, however, invest in a tripod if you don't already have one. Camera shake is a problem with the zoom lenses and unless you have kick-ass anti-shake technology on the camera and really still hands, it might show up in your shots. :)

Or she could get a 500mm Mirror lens, and deal with those annoying little circles. ;) Compact, though, so no shake to worry about.

Inkara1

Tripods are a good idea, but you might also consider getting a unipod (if that's what it's called), like what photographers use at football games. It's easier to carry than a tripod and doesn't take much time to set up. You still have to hold the camera, but since you're not supporting the weight of the camera setup, your hands should be a lot more stable. The lenses used during sporting events tend to be extremely long and heavy, though, so they have their own tripod mounts because they'd rip the front of the camera right off if the camera's lens mount had to support a 24-inch-long lens.

chcr said:
Justn, you don't think SATA is about as good as SCSI. Note that I've never worked with SATA or SCSI-3 yet. I really like the little cables for SATA.

I've got me a WD Raptor, 10k, its a little unfair but my 15k Cheetah totally wipes the floor and kitchen with it :D the 10k Cheetah is somewhat noticeably faster too.

greenfreak

I've seen those too Inkara, when I went to the NY Botanical Gardens. It was really good in those cases because they're a lot less bulky and wouldn't damage any of the flower beds. I've never tried one so I don't know how they are. I tend to have shaky hands so I'd probably stick to my tripod anyway. I can position the camera any way I want it and it has the quick release so I can lift it right off if I want. If only I had the money to use it more often. :(

nalani

greenie - that brand name came up a few times - I'm still researching it to make sure they're true EF lenses... I have a tripod already, but there's this other one that I'm totally drooling over. Trouble is, it's really expensive.

Holyphreakingcow - I just realized what a geek I am ... :D

gato - I've been looking into mirror lenses too, but wouldn't it slow down the shutter speed?

[b]

Canon digital is the best on the market, I'd love some of their high end stuff that acts just like a film camera. But who has 8 grand to blow on their high-end model. I was trying to check the site to look at the one you were talking about, but I guess the power outage in NY has them shut down.

Monopods are great and have their purpose, but if you really want to zero out any camera shake you need a tripod and a cable release. You really can't use a cable release with a monopod.

Having a mirror lens won't reduce camera shake just because it's physically shorter. "Long" lenses are "long" because they bring far off objects up close, reducing the angle of vision. This narrow angle is what makes camera shake more noticeable as you start to increase focal length. The general rule is never use a shutter speed less than half the focal length of the lens. e.g. if your using a 200mm lens, your shutter speed should be no slower than 1/100th of a second. Any shutter speed of less than 1/30th of a second should really have a tripod as well.

There are reasons why mirror lenses are a bad idea, but I can’t remember off the top of my head. I think it has something to do with reducing the amount of light that gets through due to all the bouncing back and forth. I’ll have to look it up when I get home.

freako104

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we missed ya :) glad to see you again. good luck in school :) take care mate. hope to see you back :)

nalani

*looks frantically for a grant for to come to Hawai'i to take pictures of whales with us* wouldn't that be the COOLEST?

Thanks for the info - I really really really appreciate it.

*continues to wallow in my geekness* hehehehe

Gato_Solo

[b] said:
Canon digital is the best on the market, I'd love some of their high end stuff that acts just like a film camera. But who has 8 grand to blow on their high-end model. I was trying to check the site to look at the one you were talking about, but I guess the power outage in NY has them shut down.

Monopods are great and have their purpose, but if you really want to zero out any camera shake you need a tripod and a cable release. You really can't use a cable release with a monopod.

Having a mirror lens won't reduce camera shake just because it's physically shorter. "Long" lenses are "long" because they bring far off objects up close, reducing the angle of vision. This narrow angle is what makes camera shake more noticeable as you start to increase focal length. The general rule is never use a shutter speed less than half the focal length of the lens. e.g. if your using a 200mm lens, your shutter speed should be no slower than 1/100th of a second. Any shutter speed of less than 1/30th of a second should really have a tripod as well.

There are reasons why mirror lenses are a bad idea, but I can’t remember off the top of my head. I think it has something to do with reducing the amount of light that gets through due to all the bouncing back and forth. I’ll have to look it up when I get home.

Thanks for that info, . I assumed that weight and length were the main issues, and shorter (compact) lenses had less weight. Kind of like a rifle vs pistol analogy...

[b]

hey guys, sorry for the delay, been kinda busy with the new job...

lorrimar is helping me with the project and would like to know your opinion on soltek mother boards.

gato: weight really isn't (imho) that much of a factor in camera shake. in some cases a mirror lens is heavier than a regular telephoto because of the heavier optics needed to make it work in such a small space.