yet another christian compound raided by brutal government thugs

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
if it's true,,,,hang him

if it's another bullshit story...hang her

tonksy

That's really odd. What law-abiding christian minister on the straight and narrow has an alias....and names his church after himself?

tonksy

Hence my mention of an alias....why would you name your church Tony Alamo? Did I miss a bible book?

spike

Asked why authorities were searching the property, Alamo compared himself to Christ.

"Why were they after Jesus?" he asked. "It's the same reason. Jesus is living within me."

Nice. :thumbup:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Never ceases to amaze me when somebody abuses a religion for illegal gains and the world blames the religion, and not the individual. Just like Islamic terrorists aren't really Muslim, this asshole wasn't really Christian.

chcr

Too cute for words
Never ceases to amaze me when somebody abuses a religion for illegal gains and the world blames the religion, and not the individual. Just like Islamic terrorists aren't really Muslim, this asshole wasn't really Christian.

I disagree, Gato. While you're correct that religion gets blamed incorrectly in most cases, that doesn't alter the fact that this guy is a christian or islamic terrorists are muslims. Their interpretation of the religion is the problem. You don't have to agree with it. Heck, I don't agree with any of them. They are still adherents to their stated religion.

This has long been one of the minor problems I have with religion. Ask ten adherents of any stated religion what it means to be a follower of that religion and you're likely to get ten different and occasionally wildly contradictory answers. They can't all be right, can they?

Excuse me while I climb down from this pulpit. ;)

Gato_Solo

I disagree, Gato. While you're correct that religion gets blamed incorrectly in most cases, that doesn't alter the fact that this guy is a christian or islamic terrorists are muslims. Their interpretation of the religion is the problem. You don't have to agree with it. Heck, I don't agree with any of them. They are still adherents to their stated religion.

Nope. They are followers of someone elses interpretation of their stated 'religion'. By that token, I can say I'm a billionaire, and you'd have no choice but to believe me. You make a grave misyake in that one line.

chcr said:
This has long been one of the minor problems I have with religion. Ask ten adherents of any stated religion what it means to be a follower of that religion and you're likely to get ten different and occasionally wildly contradictory answers. They can't all be right, can they?

Nope...the problem is this...they tend to band together and 'elect' a leader to do their thinking for them. Once again, they fail the test of being involved in a 'religion' and their claims of piousness fall flat.

Gato_Solo

what test would that be?

Boy...you are being fecetious
lately...

The test is quite simple. Only one question, in fact.

Does one have a personal relationship with their God?

If you have to pay someone to interpret your scripture for you, then you've already failed. If you have to go with a group, your relationship is no longer personal. Note that I am not saying that going to a church/synagogue/temple/mosque is wrong. Just unnecessary. Most scriptures say something about fellowship, but they say nothing about relying on others to tell you your faith.

chcr

Too cute for words
Boy...you are being fecetious
lately...

The test is quite simple. Only one question, in fact.

Does one have a personal relationship with their God?

If you have to pay someone to interpret your scripture for you, then you've already failed. If you have to go with a group, your relationship is no longer personal. Note that I am not saying that going to a church/synagogue/temple/mosque is wrong. Just unnecessary. Most scriptures say something about fellowship, but they say nothing about relying on others to tell you your faith.
Well, that's your interpretation. ;)

I daresay the overwhelming majority of religious people feel differently.

Gato_Solo

Well, that's your interpretation. ;)

I daresay the overwhelming majority of religious people feel differently.

The overwhelming majority of 'religious people' aren't really religious, either...They belong to the church/synagogu/temple/mosque because their parents belonged, or their friends go there. They didn't make a conscious choice...they went with the flow in order to 'belong'.

chcr

Too cute for words
The overwhelming majority of 'religious people' aren't really religious, either...They belong to the church/synagogu/temple/mosque because their parents belonged, or their friends go there. They didn't make a conscious choice...they went with the flow in order to 'belong'.

Well, we're certainly in 100% agreement about that. Our disagreement is that you consider yourself representative of "real" religious people while I am, I'm afraid, forced to consider the overwhelming majority to be representative.

Gato_Solo

Well, we're certainly in 100% agreement about that. Our disagreement is that you consider yourself representative of "real" religious people while I am, I'm afraid, forced to consider the overwhelming majority to be representative.

Ahhh...so this is about me, and not religion in general. Well...for one...I'm not trying to force others to believe the way I do. Two...It really doesn't bother me that you think I'm considering myself a representative of 'real' religious people. You are free to believe as you wish.

chcr

Too cute for words
Ahhh...so this is about me, and not religion in general. Well...for one...I'm not trying to force others to believe the way I do. Two...It really doesn't bother me that you think I'm considering myself a representative of 'real' religious people. You are free to believe as you wish.

No, it's not about you personally at all. Surely you can see that from my point of view you are simply stating yet another interpretation of religion. Of course you think your's is correct. It would be surprising if you thought otherwise. Again, from my point of view, I find this completely typical. I'm sorry you're taking this as a personal attack, I certainly didn't intend it as such. Just clarifying my position vis-a-vis the religion of the person in th OP. He's still a christian in my eyes whether you accept him as one or not. :shrug:

Gato_Solo

No, it's not about you personally at all. Surely you can see that from my point of view you are simply stating yet another interpretation of religion. Of course you think your's is correct. It would be surprising if you thought otherwise. Again, from my point of view, I find this completely typical. I'm sorry you're taking this as a personal attack, I certainly didn't intend it as such. Just clarifying my position vis-a-vis the religion of the person in th OP. He's still a christian in my eyes whether you accept him as one or not. :shrug:

I didn't view it as a personal attack. I just thought you needed further clarification. As to the sub-human scum in the OP, just because he claims to be something doesn't mean that he is. If that was the case, I could claim to be a brain surgeon because I watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy. ;)