Yet another question for those more informed than I

FluerVanderloo

I'm going to put another question to this large anonymous group called OTC, because I've been able to rely on advice before.

Just the other day, I bought my first "toy". It's still wrapped in its original packaging in case I decide to return it after reading everyone's opinion on it. It's made of jelly rubber, which I'm told isn't that safe, and it's also pretty hard to clean. Keep in mind I'm a poor college student and can't afford much more expensive than what I got (I only spent $16).

Has anyone else had experience with this material? What's the best way to clean it? Apparently hot water and soap isn't safe, so what do I use?

Altron

Well, obviously, the best way to clean it will depend on how it is used, so you should probably take some pictures of it in use for us to decide.

In otherwords, I'm even more clueless than you are.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
The only way to ensure they stay 100% clean is to use condoms on them but when I bought mine the lady at the store recommended a special cleaner made for jelly vibrators, she said it's worlds better than soap and water. I recommend either going back where you bought it (or if they were useless going to some other sex store) and asking what type of cleaner they recommend, there are special ones out there.

FluerVanderloo

From what I've read there's some sort of chemical in the material that can be harmful, but I do plan on using a condom anyway.

Would it be ok to use a diluted rubbing alcohol until I can get to a store later on?

simplyred

My first thought was rubbing alcohol. I have also heard that keeping the jelly kind in a zip lock baggie for storage is best as they tend to get hair, fuzzies, and dust stuck to them.

Look at the Slumber Parties website. I have found that they were much more reasonable than stores.

I am also remembering that Tonks had a fun party recently. The company she went through may have been reasonable or their website may have cleansers to offer.

Dave

i wouldnt think that rubbing alcohol and a jelly rubber would be a good combination. the alcohol is rather harsh and might cause it to break down. end up picking bits out of your bits.

FluerVanderloo

My first thought was rubbing alcohol. I have also heard that keeping the jelly kind in a zip lock baggie for storage is best as they tend to get hair, fuzzies, and dust stuck to them.

Look at the Slumber Parties website. I have found that they were much more reasonable than stores.

I am also remembering that Tonks had a fun party recently. The company she went through may have been reasonable or their website may have cleansers to offer.

Good idea, thanks! I might look into silicone instead. From what I've been reading it's easier to clean.

Professur

Care to supply the company name? That goes a long way to helping us dictate whether or not the jelly rubber is potentially dangerous. When buying for the missus, I stick to 'made in USA' products when possible. Doc Johnson for the most part.

As for cleaning .... soap and water. The 'special' cleaners usually aren't worth the effort, not to mention that it's one more thing to try and conceal from the nosey folk.

Y'know ... if you'd mentioned that you were in the market, I expect more than a few here would have been happy to chip in to help you buy a better model. Particularly right around christmas time.

Mare

Ew, Yuck, rubber dildo's, you could have found a cheap one thats not made of rubber, they are out there. Not sure how to clean one of those. and as far as putting a rubber on a fake dildo, MAN THAT JUST SUCKS. Goodluck though, have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

tonksy

Fluer - I use a specific cleaner for my toys. link
I spray the toy completely and let ir sit for a few seconds and then rinse with water. Then I let it air dry so as to not get it all linty. Then I store it in a large ziploc bag to keep it from becoming overly dry.

BTW - that website has some great toys.....This is a great one for a beginner - Link

tonksy

I've heard the KY is actually bad for you in the long run...so I am scared of it too.
The above site has some warming stuff...but I don't think it's lube - although they sell the bestest lube that is good for all um, all purposes whereas KY is not.
Link

chcr

Too cute for words
Anyone used the KY warming stuff?

I'm a little afraid of it.

Doesn't get uncomfortably warm. Interesting sensation form my point of view. You'd have to ask Dara for the female perspective.

Fleur, we use the stuff tonks linked to.