You do WHAT?!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
What do you do for a living? What kind of degree so you have? Do you like your job? If you are still a student, what are you studying? What kind of degree do you hope to get and when? What do you want to do when you finish school?

I will be stating University at McMaster University in September. For the first year I will be doing a general engineering program. Second year I plan to focus on Civil Engineering and more specifically, structural engineering. After my third year I will do an internship for 16months, I will then return to school for one year and graduate in June 2007 with a Bacholar of Engineering degree in Civil Engineering. I then want to design bridges and steel building structures. After 3 or 4 years of work experience I will the beable to write a test and become a professional Engineer. I plan to do that aswell.

Jeslek

Banned
NIXY: :headbang:

I'm studying Computer Science right now at University of Waterloo (www.uwaterloo.ca). I have not yet decided if I'm going to transfer to Software Engineering (and hence persue Professional Engineer status), or if I'm going to graduate and do Electrical or Computer Engineering degree afterwards.

I study co-op, which IMO is the best way of studying.

After I get my degree(s), I plan on joining the United States Air Force as a Software/Computer Engineer, both hardware and software sides. :headbang:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I am 2 classes away from having my Bachelors of Computer Science from Columbia College. I work for the State Government as a computer operator. What I do is babysit computers most of the day. As long as everything keeps going, I sit at a desk, if things go to hell, I get rather busy. And wouldn't you know, if one breaks, they tend to have a domino effect on the rest. Most of the time when I am on here, I've got six terminal programs running that monitor the network, two for the seperate partitions of the AS/400, the web server, the job queue of the Mainframe at the Data Center, and the output queue from next door.

It sounds kinda boring, but it pays pretty good, and I get to spend most of my day surfing the web.

My dream job will be to do all this from my home, that way I won't even have to get dressed in the morning, just throw on some boxers, fire up the puter, and go to work.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
LOL!

You could always do like Homer Simpson and gain tons of weight so they'd have to let you work from home!

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Nope, that won't happen. I just really enjoy spending time with my family. And where I work is an hour away from where I live, so I'm gone now about 11 hours a day. I have always said that I want to work at home, but I really do wonder if it would be as good as I think it will be.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Youwoudl prolly go nuts after awhile because either you woudln't beable to get your work done because of distractions or you'd always be working.

I think it's better to keep work and home seperate.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
computer' systems engineering at the "Instituto Tecnólogico de Morelia", i'm going to take my 9th and last semester, wooooohoooooo, this december i'll be an engineer.

Ardsgaine

That's great, Nixy. Good luck with it!

I spent four years working towards a Civil Engineering degree back when I took my first run at college. If you need any help with Statics, I might be able to give you a phone number to call. ;) Actually, the work isn't that difficult, as long as you're motivated. I became disillusioned with it, because it wasn't really what I wanted to do. I used to skip class to go home so I could lie in the floor and listen to Pink Floyd. If you find yourself doing that, it might be a good idea to switch majors.

What I really wanted to do was major in philosophy, but I let myself become convinced that it was an impractical subject. Eventually, I did get my BA in Philosophy, and I found that I was much more motivated to do well.

Ardsgaine

Nixy said:
and currently you are a stay at home Dad, yes?

That's right, so I'm putting my philosophy degree to good use. Some days it takes all the philosophy I can muster not to hang the little ones up by their thumbs. ;)

Philosophy is a very practical subject, but not the way it's currently being taught. Modern philosophy is a back hole. It's designed to teach young intelligent minds that they can't know anything for certain, that there's no such thing as right and wrong, and that freedom means forcing the competent to provide for the lazy and/or incompetent. :rolleyes:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I think it's SO neat that you stay home with your kids! Alot of dads don't do that!

Janimal

I think it's neat he stays home too. ;)

I got my BS in Computer Science some years ago. Now I'm an SQA Manager for a software company.

Ardsgaine

Nixy said:
I think it's SO neat that you stay home with your kids! Alot of dads don't do that!

It has its good side and bad side. I enjoy it for the most part. There are days when I wish I were doing something else, and other days when I wonder what the heck I'm going to do when these guys get grown... Most days, though, I just enjoy being with them. :)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Ardsgaine said:
Nixy said:

It has its good side and bad side. I enjoy it for the most part. There are days when I wish I were doing something else, and other days when I wonder what the heck I'm going to do when these guys get grown... Most days, though, I just enjoy being with them. :)

That's exactly how I feel most of the time! :headbang: Right now though, I'm more leaning towards the hanging by the thumbs :retard: Damn and blast summer vacation! :laugh5:

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
I was a student Mechanical Engineering. But in Februari of this year I quit.
In September I'm starting again with ME.
After I finished that in College, I might continue at University in Aerospace Technology.

I'm betting on a job in the Aerospace industry somewhere in The Netherlands, but if I can't get one, I might try to get one in the US, depending on whether I have a girlfriend/wife at the time.
For me the Aerospace industry is the only industry I want to work in, especially a management job there :)

That would be 100% great!

freako104

im right now working in a wal*mart, but i go to a community college in the fall to study psychology. im hoping to do something with criminal psychology.also im intrested in marine biology and other sciences cause i love science in general. so right now im a student.

HomeLAN

Nixy said:
wow! everyone has such cool jobs!

Well, we'll just put a stop to that. :D

I'm the Controller/CFO of a small commercial finance company in Atlanta. The company does credit lines for small business. I'm in charge of all the accounting and HR functions, and I'm also the backup guy for several people, including most of out IT staff.

Got my bachelor's degree in 91 and my MBA in 95. Thank God that's over.

Ardsgaine

Leslie said:
That's exactly how I feel most of the time! :headbang: Right now though, I'm more leaning towards the hanging by the thumbs :retard: Damn and blast summer vacation! :laugh5:

Heheh. You should try homeschooling, then you wouldn't have to worry about summer vacations. ;-)

Mine are being pretty good today. The redhead took a nice long nap, and my daughter has been playing semi-quietly.