you know who i don't understand?

tonksy

civil war enthuasists...these people that scruntinize the battles and rehash the agruements from like...a century ago plus....especially the ones from the south....like i care that there was more to the issue than slavery...like anything else matters...you can't defend slavery...you just can't! and i don't care that it was a different time and a different way of life...it was wrong...i don't care that the south had some good points...so did hitler...it still doesn't excuse it. ever heard the phrase one aw shit can mess up a thousand atta boy's? and i'd call slavery more than an aw shit. i don't care if the south wanted to pass a law that gave everyone free marijuana and oral sex on tuesdays! they promoted slavery...i'm glad they lost. they lost. like a long time ago.

nalani

I totally understand what you're saying ... when I went to visit unc a little over a year ago, it was weird seeing all the commemorative items ... and the discussions about the "North and South" ... we just don't get that here, being that we're on a rock in the middle of the Pacific ocean and had nothing to do with that war :D

IDLEchild

you can't defend slavery...you just can't! and i don't care that it was a different time and a different way of life...it was wrong...

That is your opinion. As much of a drag it maybe to you or to anyone else it doesn't matter. They are simply expressing their opinion, exercising their first amendment just like you are.

It is only the opinion that differs. Those men who died in the war died for this.

...i'm glad they lost.

Yeah, me too

chcr

Too cute for words
Cuhtainly y'all folks couldn't be referrin' t' that little ole War of Yankee Aggression now, could you???? :lol:

Honestly, tonks, I think many of those people have their heads so far up their asses that the news simply has not reached them yet.

tonksy

Inkara1 said:
What about the slave states that didn't secede?
well...who cares? they don't have slaves anymore....none of them do...because the war is over, slavery is illegal and it's 2003...at least there is that to be thankful for.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
After I learned about the Civil War, I couldn't believe that they made a television series that made a Hero out of General Lee. Dukes of Hazzard, anyone?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
PuterTutor said:
After I learned about the Civil War, I couldn't believe that they made a television series that made a Hero out of General Lee. Dukes of Hazzard, anyone?

I kow nothing about the civil war, besies north vs south, and the slavery issure, what did gen. lee do wrong?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
paul_valaru said:
I kow nothing about the civil war, besies north vs south, and the slavery issure, what did gen. lee do wrong?
Fought on the wrong side is all I guess.

tonksy

i'm sure lee was an honorable man....but as it always is with war, it doesn't matter what the individual does or believes in. what matters is what they are fighting for....in this case the south was wrong....slavery is an abomination.

chcr

Too cute for words
tonks said:
i'm sure lee was an honorable man....but as it always is with war, it doesn't matter what the individual does or believes in. what matters is what they are fighting for....in this case the south was wrong....slavery is an abomination.
While I agree with you about slavery, I've always wondered what might have happened had slave labor agriculture remained as profitable in the 19th century as it was in the 18th. The study of slavery is really interesting. For instance, almost 95% of African slaves were sold into slavery by other Africans.

BeardofPants

Tonks, humans suck. There's no way around it. New Zealand and Australia never had slavery that I know of, but we did dastardly things like steal land off the indigenous peoples. *shakes head* Good ol' fucking whitey. And the Australian Aborigines are still getting a hard time. :(

tonksy

i am reminded of a bit that george carlin did about white explorers, BoP. funny as hell...something about watching out for those blue eyes sailing in...wonder if i can find a sound bite.......