You lucky, lucky Americans...

MrBishop

1 million bucks US/week. Only in L.A., where being a 'star' is more important than actually being able to play.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
ESPN was replaying Sportscenter this morning as I was getting ready for work, and they talked about this. Said the team had already sold around 2000 season tickets. The off-camera anchor piped in with something like, "That equal 250 mil?" Cracked me up. Subtle, I thought.

MrBishop

Granted... but worth $1M/week?

This reminds me of when the Kings got Gretzky. He didn't go there because it was a prestigious team, or a kick-ass coach, or huge potential... he went there because of the $$$$$. An HE was the greatest player of all time!

It's an example of buying a team is sometimes easier than making one.

tonksy

I don't know anout you but if I get offered the same job at different places I am most likely to go with the most $$$$ :shrug:
These folks only have a limited amount of years to play, I don't blame them for taking what's offered. It's when they complain that their millions aren't enough that butters my muffin.

chcr

Too cute for words
Granted... but worth $1M/week?

This reminds me of when the Kings got Gretzky. He didn't go there because it was a prestigious team, or a kick-ass coach, or huge potential... he went there because of the $$$$$. An HE was the greatest player of all time!

It's an example of buying a team is sometimes easier than making one.

A) Buying a team is not the same as buying a championship (See Yankees, New York, time immemorable - present).
Edit: I'll bet it's significantly cheaper to buy a championship.

and 2) You're worth whatever somebody will pay you to do what you do.

I don't think it's worth it, but obviously someone does, don't they?

Re Gretztky, he got paid. There's lots more free cash running around LA than Edmonton (isn't that surprising?). Who can blame him?

MrBishop

Re Gretztky, he got paid. There's lots more free cash running around LA than Edmonton (isn't that surprising?). Who can blame him?
Canadians in general and Edmontonians in particular.

Happens all the time with musicians/singers, actors, sportsmen... get big in Canada and move down south for the bigger market (ie. more money). *handonhip

chcr

Too cute for words

Happens all the time with musicians/singers, actors, sportsmen... get big in Canada and move down south for the bigger market (ie. more money). *handonhip

Of course, if you were offered quadruple your current salary to move to Philadelphia and do what you do now, you'd turn 'em down flat because that wouldn't be the "Canadian" thing to do? ;)

MrBishop

I'd have to talk with the Missus...but I get the feeling that she'd say 'No'.

This is a woman who gave away a trip to Cuba for two that she'd won..out of principle alone. She flatly refuses to go to Cuba.

**Not to say that there aren't any nice people in the USA...but family is here. If you'd said Barcelona or Madrid...I'd find myself enrolled in advanced Spanish courses so fast that my head would still be spinning when the first boxes were being unpacked in our new house.

Altron

Well, there is the mandatory indoctrination into Eagles fandom. That might intimidate some Canucks from moving to Philly.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Can't say as I blame her, considering that Cuba is not a very nice place to visit in the best of circumstances. ;)

unclehobart

Market, schmarket... its the tax shelter they want.